Sampling Bidule instrument in Bliss

General Discussion about Plogue Bidule

Moderators: vincent@plogue, davidv, seb@plogue

magickz

Sampling Bidule instrument in Bliss

Postby magickz » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:09 am

Hello. DiscoDSP made a nice plugin called Bliss that is able to sample VSTinstruments and safe them in SFZ-Format. Now, my idea is to route the audio signal from my hardware synth through Bidule to sample it in Bliss.

I loaded Bidule inside of Bliss and some other VST instrument inside Bidule to test it. But I was not successful when I wanted to sample the Bidule instrument, the samples remained empty.

I would like to ask, did someone here already try to sample Bidule in Bliss successfully to create some SFZ file for Sforzando?

seb@plogue
Site Admin

Re: Sampling Bidule instrument in Bliss

Postby seb@plogue » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:19 am

Did you link the MIDI from the Bidule Plugin to the hosted VST and the audio output of the VSTs to the Bidule Plugin output?

magickz

Postby magickz » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:30 pm

HI, my test configuration looks very simple:

I made several tests (DAW: Reaper):

1. Only Sforzando played with a piano roll - works perfectly well
2. Sforzando inside of Bidule played with the piano roll - same result as #1
3. Sforzando inside of Bidule inside of Bliss, played with the piano roll - works well, too
4. Sforzando inside of Bidule inside of Bliss, started the sampling feature of Bliss - it does not do anything. Sampling process finished abruptly, no samples recorded.
5. Sforzando inside of Bliss (without Bidule), loaded TableWarp, started the sampling feature of Bliss - same behaviour as #4

Now I try with another plugin instead of Sforzando (the 'free' LinPlug Alpha CM):

6. LinPlug Alpha CM (VSti), inside of Bliss - samples can be recorded, takes a few seconds
7. LinPlug Alpha CM inside of Bidule inside of Bliss - same result as #4

For my hardware sampling I used a slightly different configuration:

(receiving Audio input in Reaper and streaming it into Bidule via ReaStream plugin by Cockos)

Same result as #4

Now comes the astonishing part:

I also use Renoise. It seems to have a similar sampling feature like Bliss (with the difference, it cannot safe SFZ format). With the above configuration (ReaStream inside of Bidule inside of Renoise) I can record my hardware synth samples - result as expected, just needs extra conversion into sfz format. I can load Renoise sample instruments in Bliss and convert them with Bliss into SFZ. So, I have a work around, and it is not an urgent problem, but I guess it is still an interesting case.

P.S. it happens in Windows 10, all mentioned plugins are fresh installations from the last weekend - so everything should be up-to-date

ZergFood

Postby ZergFood » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:55 pm

Does connecting ReaStream's MIDI input to Bidule Plugin (input) change anything? It could be a quirk of it not processing for some reason.

(try it even if it does not do anything itself)

seb@plogue
Site Admin

Postby seb@plogue » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:08 pm

I think there's a bug in Bliss, it will not sample anything if the VST declares having 0 program (i.e. only a current state) like both Bidule
and sforzando do. We've been set up like that for years, I've seen several other plugins doing that and it has never been an issue in any hosts.

Return to “Bidule General”