ASIO device problems, bidule 9755, roland duo-capture

Post your bug reports/problems here

Moderators: davidv, seb@plogue

JensJohansson

ASIO device problems, bidule 9755, roland duo-capture

Postby JensJohansson » Sun May 28, 2017 3:45 pm

This is with a Roland DUO-capture, which i suspect is a pretty common interface.

I am not sure but it could be that this latest version maybe tries to address part of this issue: viewtopic.php?p=41960#p41960 ---- I did see something in bidule.log about "using PortAudio V19-devel (Plogue) (built Mar 14 2017 11:34:12)" , so if indeed you are trying to address that I am quite grateful for that.

Anyway, sorry to be the bearer of bad news, on to the bug.

If i try to access the ASIO control panel while processing is "off", I get a message box "DUO-CAPTURE EX(duplex) - Portaudio error (PaAsio_ShowControlpanel: -9999: unanticipated host error". It's possible to exit the program normally.

If I try it when processing is "on" (which didn't use to work), i get "device currenntly used by another application", and bidule after that is unresponsive.

I attach a bidule.log from both cases called "asio panel while processing=off bidule.log" and "asio panel while processing=on bidule.log". I also attach the bidule layout, but it anyway just contains the duplex ins and outs and no other bidules ...

If this duo-capture buffer size weirdness mentioned is fixed before this summer season starting June, and live performance latency with this interface can be tamed forever, I owe you a beer!

( I will have to perform in front of a grand total of maybe 40000-50000 people total this summer, including at that place they just bombed in Manchester, but no pressure ... :D I will just downgrade for now.. hmmm... if i can find the old install files .. )
Attachments
duo capture error.bidule
(1.66 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
asio panel while processing=on bidule.log
(38.48 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
asio panel while processing=off bidule.log
(40.81 KiB) Downloaded 13 times

seb@plogue
Site Admin

Re: ASIO device problems, bidule 9755, roland duo-capture

Postby seb@plogue » Mon May 29, 2017 12:05 pm

Could you give this a try? It will still do the same thing if bringing the control panel while processing is on (some drivers do allow it, it's not
possible to know if it's supported or not without actually trying to show it) but it should allow you to get the control panel when processing
is off instead of getting an error.

In addition, could you also use regedit and add a DWORD value under HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/PlogueBidule with
name : AudioDevices.ASIOForceFirstGreater
value: 1

and see if you get better buffer size/latency combo out of the Duo-capture?

https://www.plogue.com/seb/PlogueBidule_x64_JensJohansson.zip

JensJohansson

Postby JensJohansson » Mon May 29, 2017 11:52 pm

seb@plogue wrote:Could you give this a try? It will still do the same thing if bringing the control panel while processing is on (some drivers do allow it, it's not
possible to know if it's supported or not without actually trying to show it) but it should allow you to get the control panel when processing
is off instead of getting an error.

In addition, could you also use regedit and add a DWORD value under HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/PlogueBidule with
name : AudioDevices.ASIOForceFirstGreater
value: 1

and see if you get better buffer size/latency combo out of the Duo-capture?

https://www.plogue.com/seb/PlogueBidule_x64_JensJohansson.zip

Thank you so much for looking into this.

This one indeed allows the control panel to be displayed with the processing is off!

This one is a x64 file and I am running 32-bit. I can't quite experiment with the AudioDevices.ASIOForceFirstGreater thing with an x64 version since I never quite got jbridge to work properly :)

But it would seem anyway that the bug is not there anymore in this x64 version ..

seb@plogue
Site Admin

Postby seb@plogue » Tue May 30, 2017 8:36 am

Sorry, I assumed that most have moved to the 64-bit version:

https://www.plogue.com/seb/PlogueBidule_JensJohansson.zip

JensJohansson

Postby JensJohansson » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:44 am

seb@plogue wrote:Sorry, I assumed that most have moved to the 64-bit version:

OK.. had to drop out for a few days but I will test this now and let you know what happened!

JensJohansson

Postby JensJohansson » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:58 am

JensJohansson wrote:
seb@plogue wrote:Sorry, I assumed that most have moved to the 64-bit version:

OK.. had to drop out for a few days but I will test this now and let you know what happened!

It seems the effective buffer size corresponds better to the setting in the driver's control panel dialog in these versions (in this thread).

I managed to crash/hang Bidule again by accessing the driver's control panel with processing set to "on".

(For some reason the normal layout I have is using a lot more CPU even when there are no notes to process, I'm not sure why this is, it could be some windows thing. It is what prompted me to investigate these later versions: Was running .9751 before -> Finally updated Windows 8.1 because of security concerns -> CPU use was higher -> checked for bidule update -> this thread )

Will test more on another computer ...

JensJohansson

Postby JensJohansson » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:49 am

After some testing, it seems this "special 0.9755 JensJohansson", 0.9751 and 0.9728 all give the same effective buffer sizes.

I notice that for all these, portaudio_x86.dll all seem to be the same:

Date Thursday, ‎May ‎2, ‎2013, ‏‎15:00:18
version 1.9.0.9

viewtopic.php?p=41960#p41960

However, in one of the log files it said this: "PortAudio V19-devel (Plogue) (built Mar 14 2017 11:34:12)". Is Bidule somehow not using the DLL file?

And, if testing with one of these "special test executables", does it matter which DLL files are in the same directory?

I have also tested now this newest "0.9756", it seems no better nor worse than the older ones. BTW I still managed to lock it up, by accidentally changing the interface's ASIO settings with Bidule audio processing "on".

cheers and thanks

seb@plogue
Site Admin

Postby seb@plogue » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:56 am

0.9755 and newer are using a newer version of portaudio that has some changes that would cause problems if it wasn't using the correct .dll version, I have moved to instead link directly with the .lib so that the portaudio code is now inside the PlogueBidule(_x64).exe file. I should probably remove the .dll from the installer as well as make sure that the built date is always updated no matter the change I make. (last change was only in the ASIO handling section hence why the date hasn't changed).

JensJohansson

Postby JensJohansson » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:14 am

seb@plogue wrote:0.9755 and newer are using a newer version of portaudio that has some changes that would cause problems if it wasn't using the correct .dll version, I have moved to instead link directly with the .lib so that the portaudio code is now inside the PlogueBidule(_x64).exe file. I should probably remove the .dll from the installer as well as make sure that the built date is always updated no matter the change I make. (last change was only in the ASIO handling section hence why the date hasn't changed).

OK.. thank you so much!!

The testing continues..

One question, if i wanted to have access to multiple (previous) versions of Bidule, it would be enough to just rename the old directory before running the installer, right? The installations are all complete in " C:\Program Files (x86)\Plogue\Bidule "with no other mystical files dropped somewhere (except log files)?

Meaning, if I rename a current install directory to eg. "C:\Program Files (x86)\Plogue\Bidule9747" I can upgrade to the latest version, but still run a complete and untouched v 0.9747 by using the .exe from that directory if i have problems with the current version?

cheers,

seb@plogue
Site Admin

Postby seb@plogue » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:45 am

One question, if i wanted to have access to multiple (previous) versions of Bidule, it would be enough to just rename the old directory before running the installer, right?

or point the installer to C:\Program Files (x86)\Plogue\BiduleNEWVERSIONNUMBER

Meaning, if I rename a current install directory to eg. "C:\Program Files (x86)\Plogue\Bidule9747" I can upgrade to the latest version, but still run a complete and untouched v 0.9747 by using the .exe from that directory if i have problems with the current version?

Yes, you can do that. The only thing is that it's always possible that a .bidule file saved with a newer version will not load in a previous version (I need to add things/features for that to happen, it's not something that happens just on a version change)

Groups installed through the installer will be rescanned everytime you switch version since it will detect that the base folder for groups
has changed location. Otherwise, settings/preferences are shared so you might get problem there but some of them can be overriden
for a given .exe (see http://www.plogue.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6054)

Return to “Bidule Bugs and Problems”