error recognizing more than one identical usb keyboard

Post your bug reports/problems here

Moderators: davidv, seb@plogue

miller

error recognizing more than one identical usb keyboard

Postby miller » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:45 pm

I’m building an art installation that uses 2 identical midi keyboards to input to bidule.

When I open bidule it recognizes both keyboards relabeling the 2nd keyboard with an underscore and a 1 after the normal name.
I setup the inputs and everything works. I save the patch but then when I reopen it, the inputs from the 2nd keyboard go red as if that keyboard is not connected.
The keyboard is still showing in the bidule side panel and is still connected… but Bidule will not recognize it.

Does anyone know of a workaround… I have tried to relabel the keyboards in Audio Midi Setup but Bidule only sees the name of the keyboard from the manufacturer. Unfortunately using a different second keyboard is not an option. the keyboards are being built into an old organ and need to look and feel identical.

Thanks for any help and input

Miller

Bidule .9754 OSX 10.10.5, Samson Carbon 61 keyboard
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-06-05 at 1.18.56 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-06-05 at 1.18.56 PM.png (1.02 MiB) Viewed 646 times

seb@plogue
Site Admin

Re: error recognizing more than one identical usb keyboard

Postby seb@plogue » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:56 pm

In Bidule Preferences, on the MIDI tab there is a "Use Display Names" option that will use the name set in Audio/MIDI Setup.

If you turn this on and rename the 2 inputs does it behave any better?

If not, could you attach a bidule_x64.log file from a run where you try to load the .bidule file and get a red bidule instead?
(the file is in <your user>/Library/Application Support/Plogue/Bidule , to quickly go to <your user>/Library hold
the option key while the Go menu of Finder is opened)

miller

Postby miller » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:37 pm

Hi Seb thanks for your quick reply. I tried switching to the "Use display names" and unfortunately it behaves the same even though it sees the different name. I will attach the log from this last attempt.
best
miller
Attachments
bidule_x64.log
(260.04 KiB) Downloaded 13 times

seb@plogue
Site Admin

Postby seb@plogue » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:37 am

Is it possible that you have 3 MIDI inputs in that layout? That's what I get from the log file.
Have you also resaved the .bidule file with the new MIDI input names?

In Bidule, the behaviour when loading a .bidule file referencing MIDI devices is to first try matching by name from what was saved,
if no match is found then it will attempt to substitute the device to the one matching the index in device enumeration.
(This can be turned off with the Never Substitute Devices preference on the same tab as the Use Display Names one)

What is probably happening is that the third MIDI input cannot be loaded by name and ends up trying to load
using the index which means that the second keyboard is loaded by it and makes it unavailable to be loaded right
after that.

I could tell by looking at the .bidule file and edit it if necessary, we can switch to e-mail for that.

seb@plogue
Site Admin

Postby seb@plogue » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:45 am

I've also added some additional logging information in the 0.9756 build to help seeing what is happening when devices are substituted.

miller

Postby miller » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:38 pm

so should I download that and then get back to you with those files?
I have a workaround in which I plug one of the keyboards in via an external midi hub and everything works fine but it still does not work with the 2 just plugged directly.
and its puzzling that you see 3 midi device in my patch as there should be only the 2... and yes i had reserved the file with the new midi names and it still did not work.

thanks

seb@plogue
Site Admin

Postby seb@plogue » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:43 pm

The added logging info will help with seeing what is happening when loading the file and as I said seeing the .bidule file would also help,
you can send both by email.

Return to “Bidule Bugs and Problems”