Ghost mode

Post your bug reports/problems here

Moderators: davidv, seb@plogue

URM

Ghost mode

Postby URM » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:27 pm

Hey Seb,

Ghost mode is a very interesting development and as always thanks for the new build, but I've come across a couple of minor issues when using it with floating frames off in standalone mode win 7 pro 64.

1. If you have a layout that opens with a bunch of windows open on top of the patchbay, when you select the patchbay to bring it to the foreground there's no way I can see to bring all of those windows now hidden by the patchbay all back to the foreground. Once Ghost mode is enabled, each partially hidden window can be selected with a shift click as described, but only one can be brought to the foreground at a time. Is there anyway to bring them all back up and if not would it be possible to add a modifier key to the shift click to bring all hidden windows to the foreground?

Also would it be possible to allow for a transaparency level adjust slider or perhaps presets for light, medium or dark transparencies modes? Right now on my screens it is a bit difficult to see what's below, but perhaps if I lighten my patchbay background from 100% black to 50% or lower it might help with underneath visibility.

2. Sometimes the bidules move around the patchbay. On first open of my normal layout, the patch bay bidules moved up and down (like if you were using the up down arrow keys to navigate the patchbay) when selecting windows under the patchbay. For example, I have a group gui open in the area of the top right quarter of the patchbay and another in the bottom right quarter, if I selected the one near the top - the patch bay bidules shifted up and if I selected the one near the bottom - they shifted down. If I kept selecting one - some of the bidules in the patchbay were eventually out of the viewable area. Home key on the patchbay worked to bring things back to centre and seems to have changed the behavior of the moving bidules as after I homed the patchbay it's no long scrolling the patchbay when shift clicking, but rather moving the bidules closer together causing them to bunch up. I'll reopen and see what happens next and report back. Right now after hitting home, it seems that when I shift click to select a hidden window the bidules in the patchbay that are associated with the selected window are also selected in the patchbay which sometimes nudges them about.

Again thanks as always Seb, hope this helps.

Edit: on relaunch things are still being nudged about, but this time it's just a couple of bidule moving about that are not related to the guis that are being selected. Weird.

Jamie

seb@plogue
Site Admin

Re: Ghost mode

Postby seb@plogue » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:15 pm

Is there anyway to bring them all back up and if not would it be possible to add a modifier key to the shift click to bring all hidden windows to the foreground?

Should probably be a different modifier to bring everything up.

Also would it be possible to allow for a transaparency level adjust slider or perhaps presets for light, medium or dark transparencies modes? Right now on my screens it is a bit difficult to see what's below, but perhaps if I lighten my patchbay background from 100% black to 50% or lower it might help with underneath visibility.

Using the registry/defaults trick to set hidden preferences, there is one for the transparency level,
name: MainWindow.ghostModeAlpha
value: [0-100]

The default value is 85.

2. Sometimes the bidules move around the patchbay

I think I see what you mean, if the click occurs near a body sometimes it brings the selection box. I'll see what I can do.

URM

Postby URM » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:56 pm

Thanks for checking into the magical moving bidules Seb.

Different modifier key to bring all forward would work just fine, whatever is easy for you to implement. I know some others find the floating frames off mode frustrating, but it works for me as when in performance/playing mode, I rarely touch the patchbay and it's mostly hidden with other gui windows which provide valuable visual feedback to what is turned on and off in my set-up and where I am in the set. When in sound design mode though, I just click on the patchbay to bring it to the foreground and edit away. Two different functions and ways of working for me and it's great that Bidule allows the flexibility to do both in the same environment. Thanks for trying to find a way to accomodate us all Seb.

Figured you would have had the foresight to include a hidden parameter registry setting for transaprency. That works just fine as it's a set and forget feature so I'm off to hack the registry to find that sweet spot.

Thanks again Seb.

jersmi

Postby jersmi » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:49 pm

Ghost mode is a cool idea, had the same experiences/desires. What do I type in to terminal for the defaults to change background opacity?

URM

Postby URM » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:36 am

Dawned on me that it's pretty easy to set up a user hot key with the HID extractor to bring all the windows to the foreground. D'oh! Linked F12 on my keyboard to the open UIs of the windows that get behind the patchbay which brings them all to the foreground.

On a side, but slightly related note - when you right click on a bidule and select monitor to bring up the monitoring level meters and forget to close the monitoring window afterwards, there's no way to bring it back to the foreground if it gets buried behind other open windows so you have to close the other windows to then select and close it. Think it's always behaved by like this so not new to this version.

Be handy if it could be called to the foreground if you right clicked on it's bidule and seletected monitor again. Was reminded of this when I couldn't get at one monitor window in Ghost mode by shift clicking as there was another open window above it covering a good portion of the monitor meter.

I'm guessing that was because shift clicking only selects the first layer under the patchbay so perhaps that extra/new modifier key I was requesting originally might be better spent on selecting the layers under the patchbay. Probably a heck of lot harder to implement though so from my position it would be nice to have, but not essential.

Sorry Jersmi, don't know Mac terminal, but managed to set mine to 50% with Seb's notes above and also refering back to the hidden preferences thread sticky in the General section. Good luck with it.

Ghost is taking a bit of getting to used to, but I really like it.

Jamie

seb@plogue
Site Admin

Postby seb@plogue » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:50 am

What do I type in to terminal for the defaults to change background opacity?

defaults write com.plogue.bidule MainWindow.ghostModeAlpha -int VALUE

I'm guessing that was because shift clicking only selects the first layer under the patchbay so perhaps that extra/new modifier key I was requesting originally might be better spent on selecting the layers under the patchbay. Probably a heck of lot harder to implement though so from my position it would be nice to have, but not essential.

The code is returning the first window that it finds that is in part under the click, while changing the code to return all windows would be easy,
I'm not sure how the layer selecting part would work (an overlay showing all the possible windows in miniaturized size would be overkill as the
most advanced UI feature in Bidule as an obscure function of a special mode).

jersmi

Postby jersmi » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:43 pm

Maybe a defaults write for SINGLE or ALL ghost mode windows?

seb@plogue
Site Admin

Postby seb@plogue » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:53 pm

Maybe a defaults write for SINGLE or ALL ghost mode windows?

?

You mean not just having the patchbay using alpha?

jersmi

Postby jersmi » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:22 am

I mean having two options --
Option SINGLE: shift click brings back one window at a time.
Option ALL: shift click brings back all windows at once.

Not claiming it's a brilliant solution, but it would be easy to implement! :)

Defaulting to all at once might be most useful....

NTO

Postby NTO » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:24 pm

I am not a power user as those above, and have a routine problem w/ghost mode (at least I think that is the issue though I keep it off).

I have an extreme difficulty in selecting wire ends to move their connection. Since 9756 I typically get the entire wire when trying to select an end point. Then need to delete and create new connection between desired devices. Very rarely it will work 'like it used to'
I also noted many screen re-draw uglies while using 9756. Partial windows, black screen sections
I've gone back to 9755, and the UI is no problem these ways there.

Any suggestions?
I will try again when we get a new build (Sysex msg build is something I like).

Just a routine Win7 Pro system (performance option setting selected):
2017-06-26_CompParts.png
2017-06-26_CompParts.png (5.09 KiB) Viewed 694 times

EDIT: It seems less of a problem in the VSTi. Also, I'm glad that I can alternate main app versions so easily.

seb@plogue
Site Admin

Postby seb@plogue » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:17 am

(at least I think that is the issue though I keep it off).

There is extra code to set some things on the window in order to be able to support ghost mode and this is done whether or not ghost mode
is activated, this could probably be delayed to first attempting to set it. There's no ghost mode available in plugin mode and that extra
code is also not called in that case so that would fit. Did you tried to enable accelerated OpenGL in the options or is that already on?

NTO

Postby NTO » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:50 am

That option was not on. Not sure if it made a positive change. Don't feel I really know how this goes...

Doing an extreme zoom test seems to indicate something :?: (resolution criteria)

2017-06-27_BidulePinQuesZoomed.png
2017-06-27_BidulePinQuesZoomed.png (54.49 KiB) Viewed 679 times

seb@plogue
Site Admin

Postby seb@plogue » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:19 am

That option was not on. Not sure if it made a positive change. Don't feel I really know how this goes...

That was for the redraw stuff, it shouldn't change picking. Having a quick go at 9755 vs 9756 I can't seem to find any difference in the reconnect
case in terms of picking area. Unless it's specific to straight lines?

seb@plogue
Site Admin

Postby seb@plogue » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:58 am

The only thing I can see happening (and that would have been there for a while) is that the tolerance in the straight cable picking code creates a hit when there shouldn't be one and since the single-click picking will use the z-order if there are multiple hits it ends up picking the cable if both the connector and cable are in there (since the cable is drawn over/after the connector) and this prevents the triggering of the reconnect a cable part

NTO

Postby NTO » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:02 am

seb@plogue wrote:Unless it's specific to straight lines?

I've never used 'Curves'. Working in 56 today to get a better feel for what I'm seeing, but (wishful thinking :?: ) "Curves' does seem better :roll:

I see your latest post while I'm typing. (Mouse jitter here?)
Appreciate your looking, just wish I felt I could define it better :oops:

Return to “Bidule Bugs and Problems”