Bidule Freezes

Post your bug reports/problems here

Moderators: davidv, seb@plogue

jersmi

Bidule Freezes

Postby jersmi » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:29 am

Been happening some with last versions .9755/56, macOS Sierra 10.12.4.

Details:
1. Bidule layout board freezes, can move the mouse, but cannot select anything on the layout board. (Sample included).
2. Bidule lets me save the file, reopening the .bidule fixes the issue.
3. Bidule hangs with the wheel of death trying to quit Bidule. (Sample included).
Attachments
Sample of Plogue Bidule (wheel of death on quit).txt
(98.52 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
Sample of Plogue Bidule.txt
(231.56 KiB) Downloaded 12 times

seb@plogue
Site Admin

Re: Bidule Freezes

Postby seb@plogue » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:22 am

The one on quit looks like the audio playback can't be stopped, and I see that the audio playback is stuck into the processing part of the Accum bidule.
I also see that it's into the other sample. Have you set up an Accum so that it ends up always having to do extra work to fallback into the range?

jersmi

Postby jersmi » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:58 pm

seb@plogue wrote:Have you set up an Accum so that it ends up always having to do extra work to fallback into the range?

Hmm, not quite sure what this means.... what range?

I do have a sub group with two Accums inside the attached group. Would you mind having a look inside Sequencer > Step Counter, Accums named "Clock" and "Step Counter"?

I'm wondering if the feedback might be a culprit, with the Swing group and "Clock" Accum, or the Step Order Mod group. If this is the problem, I am not sure how to troubleshoot it. The Swing setup I wonder about because I had a Trigger Clock in place of the Clock Accum at one point, trouble with it, then tried the Clock accum....
Attachments
seq32_stripped.bgrp
(1.25 MiB) Downloaded 12 times

seb@plogue
Site Admin

Postby seb@plogue » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:30 am

Hmm, not quite sure what this means.... what range?

The Inclusive Lower Bound and Exclusive Higher Bound inputs when Loop values between Low/High is on.
The issue would occur if the current accumulated value ends up very often/always being out of range, this would
typically happen if the input value is large and the range is small. eg. something like adding 1000 every sample
to something that is supposed to loop between 0 and 2. The Wrap Around output would also start looking like
a gate instead of a trigger.

Do you a specific preset or set of values where the issue show up?

jersmi

Postby jersmi » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:49 pm

Ok, I think that could be happening -- the way I have swing set up, it switches back and forth between two values (to speed up and slow down), which feeds into the Hi Bound of an Accum (looping). So I guess every other time it switches to a higher value, it could be out of bounds? Will it solve the issue if I reset the Accum (e.g., like with change->abs detecting swing value change) at the same time Hi Bound receives the (new out of bounds) swing value?

Originally I had trouble using a Trigger Clock in this setup, feeding it the high/low swing values. I have wondered if there could be any trouble modulating Trigger Clock sample values, especially in a feedback loop. Is it a similar issue, since they are both timebase bidules?

jersmi

Postby jersmi » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:05 pm

I do feel like it should be as simple as resetting the Accum as the hi bound value changes, right? Would I need to delay either to make sure the order of events does the job?

seb@plogue
Site Admin

Postby seb@plogue » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:43 am

First thing to do would be to make sure that this is what is happening. I'm simply saying this might be it from the sample.txt files where in each case the audio processing is inside the process of an Accum and having the wrap around at each sample or so would explain this.

jersmi

Postby jersmi » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:27 pm

Sure. Knowing how I built it, pretty sure you helped suss out the issue. I changed it so the Accum resets when the hi bound value changes. Looks good so far, we'll see.

Return to “Bidule Bugs and Problems”