Bidule (32-bit) stopping at splash screen

Post your bug reports/problems here

Moderators: davidv, seb@plogue

seb@plogue
Site Admin

Re: Bidule (32-bit) stopping at splash screen

Postby seb@plogue » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:40 pm

Same link, updated version, hopefully this one will pinpoint the area of code so that I can figure out
what is going wrong.

https://www.plogue.com/seb/PlogueBiduleP2_ScottishPie.zip

ScottishPie

Postby ScottishPie » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:54 am

This one actually started up normally the first two times, but that was straight after booting up the PC.
After that it mostly stalled. A couple of times it did start.

Here are the logs (failed and successful starts).
Attachments
bidule-loading-successful-2.log
(24.09 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
bidule-failed_load_6.log
(15.19 KiB) Downloaded 6 times

seb@plogue
Site Admin

Postby seb@plogue » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:22 am

OK, I think I've found the issue. I'll rework the code around it and write another post when it's ready to test.

seb@plogue
Site Admin

Postby seb@plogue » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:52 am

ScottishPie

Postby ScottishPie » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:16 pm

Well, it worked the first time, then after that the same problem as before.

It's now sticking while trying to load "Launch 1.0.dll". This is in the Bidule-based plugins folder.
Attachments
bidule-failed-Load_7.log
(15.72 KiB) Downloaded 7 times

seb@plogue
Site Admin

Postby seb@plogue » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:45 pm

What was happening before when it was stalling at group scanning is that the group cache catalog was sharing exactly the same
code between the on-disk and online case. Doing so required using a library which can connect to an URL, when it initializes upon
first use it will end up trying to initialize WinSock which is most likely what is causing the stall. I've changed the code to not
use the library (and bypassing the WinSock initialization) when it's a local file. However, the stall will most likely still occur for
anything actually accessing the Internet : online group catalog, latest version check, OSC.

I have no idea what the author of Launch 1.0.dll does in their code. It is possible that they are also using
WinSock or something else and that would then make it stall there. Maybe you should contact them?

seb@plogue
Site Admin

Postby seb@plogue » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:50 pm

The attempting to load line is really just before trying to load the dll which normally should just failed if there's an issue unless the DLL author has special code that is executed as soon as the loading attempt occurs or load other DLLs that have such code.

ScottishPie

Postby ScottishPie » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:10 pm

So now I completely deinstalled Bidule 32-bit (including P2) and the Spec stereo-to-surround program (Launch 1.0.dll is part of that).
Then I reinstalled Bidule + the last version of P2 you sent. Finally I disabled ReWire.

Still stalling.
Attachments
bidule-failed_8.log
(15.12 KiB) Downloaded 7 times

seb@plogue
Site Admin

Postby seb@plogue » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:32 pm

ok, now I'm stumped.

From the log, either some VSTs were removed and it saved the edited cache and/or it's about to update them with newly scanned VSTs.

If it's scanning for new vsts, the log forcibly flushes to disk everytime with the dll it is about to load, that would mean that
the stall occurs before that which would be when trying to create the progress dialog that is shown when scanning.

If there's no new vsts, that would be even more of a stumper.

I'll need to think overnight about any reason the stall might occur.

ScottishPie

Postby ScottishPie » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:40 am

I don't know if this helps, but I've actually noticed that on those occasions when the program does start correctly, the progress bar often isn't shown. It jumps almost instantly to the start screen with the default layout.

seb@plogue
Site Admin

Postby seb@plogue » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:33 am

There is an hidden option to prevent showing any progress dialog

Through regedit:
under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\PlogueBidule

add a DWORD value with name:
UI.showProgressDialogs

and value:

ScottishPie

Postby ScottishPie » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:51 am

There was no such entry in the registry.
So I added it and tried with both 0 and 1, but no difference.

I also noticed Bidule was looking for VSTs in a different folder (not the VST plugins folder in the program folder).
I corrected that and tried with the existing VSTs and also with no VSTs. Still no difference.

But the log looks different now:
Attachments
bidule.log
(18.74 KiB) Downloaded 8 times

URM

Postby URM » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:30 pm

Hey Seb,

In case it helps to narrow things down a bit, a slightly hacked version of Spec is running here without issue with the 32bit P2 (latest version) on Win7 64.

I remember hacking out of the spec layout a call home command to check for the latest version of Spec as I was getting some warnings from being offline or from the firewall about access or something so maybe that's a clue to the stall.

The launch.dll is also in my plugin folder and still in my altered layout which I think is used to launch a recorder and/or to execute a file to automate spec parameters while recording an upmixed file. Don't really know too much about the spec recording features as I only use it for real time upmixing and listening, but maybe that launch.dll is also being used for the call home thing I removed.

Anyway just thought I'd chime in just in case it helps. Hope it does.

Jamie

ScottishPie

Postby ScottishPie » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:06 pm

Jamie/Seb,

I don't actually think it's actually got anything to do with Spec, as it was stalling before I installed Spec and it's still stalling after de-installing both Spec and Bidule and reinstalling Bidule only.
Doesn't look like anybody else is having this issue, so I'm wondering if it's my system.

As I explained at the beginning, this doesn't happen with 64-bit Bidule.

Martin

seb@plogue
Site Admin

Postby seb@plogue » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:25 pm

Something seems to be very strange wrt 32-bit operation on your system.

Stalling at WinSock is something we had some reports on in the distant past so it could still be possible that some setups cause that. Stalling on
trying to create a progress bar is more problematic since I suspect the stall was occurring on attempting to use the first common control
(Windows term used for some of the more advanced built-in controls: progress bar, date picker, list view, tree view, tabs, etc...)

Besides doing yet another series of builds to find out where it stalls now and figure out if it's actually CommonControls, I'm not sure
if there's anything else to do. If it ends up being CommonControls, I can't simply remove all tree views, list views, tabs from the app.

Return to “Bidule Bugs and Problems”