musewalker

Rewire Max7 questions / problems

Postby musewalker » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:03 pm

I am using Max 7 in Rewire mode, within bidule
-Bidule is playing the VSTis, other routing
-Max7 is massaging the Midi note data, receiving CC data
-iPad is sending CC data and Midi Note data

Challenge:
I'm only sending MIDI/Control Data from Bidule to Max, but since max module had two audio outputs... ALL the information was ignored that's being passed into the Max7 patch without the audio going to a dummy audio module... that was totally frustrating tracking down that challenge. I had zero idea... it was required even without using audio. It was a silly issue that I lost a lot of time on. With it being a bit complicated now, it caused me to chase my tail for nothing.

Issue: Randomly, or I cannot figure out what is causing it, sometimes my Max 7 rewire module goes into "By-PASS" mode. There is no way to change this mode besides deleting the module and re-adding ... ??? Why.

Issue: I get one midi channel working, Ch 1,sweet! and all is going perfectly. Finished my programming within Max and going to open up the other MIDI channels. However, when I dbl-click on the Max 7 module, it shows Rewire 1 only on CH - 1... the other 15 channels are blank. What gives? Ports are not the same CH, I checked settings in both places. What am I missing here?

Thanks for the indulgence and help in advance...

g~

seb@plogue
Site Admin

Re: Rewire Max7 questions / problems

Postby seb@plogue » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:25 pm

I had zero idea... it was required even without using audio. It was a silly issue that I lost a lot of time on. With it being a bit complicated now, it caused me to chase my tail for nothing.

That might be because in the ReWire specs, the host app has to declare which outputs of the device are active/connected, it's quite possible that either in the ReWire DLL or inside the Max ReWire device that no active channels means do not process.

Issue: Randomly, or I cannot figure out what is causing it, sometimes my Max 7 rewire module goes into "By-PASS" mode. There is no way to change this mode besides deleting the module and re-adding ... ??? Why.

That means that calling process for the ReWire device returns an error which should be logged in the bidule.log file.

Issue: I get one midi channel working, Ch 1,sweet! and all is going perfectly. Finished my programming within Max and going to open up the other MIDI channels. However, when I dbl-click on the Max 7 module, it shows Rewire 1 only on CH - 1... the other 15 channels are blank. What gives? Ports are not the same CH, I checked settings in both places. What am I missing here?

What is written there is built from the information received by the ReWire device, the code goes through the available MIDI ports and for each one ask to which bus it corresponds to and then for each of the 16 channels what is it connected to, if no information is returned it does not display anything. So it's possible that things are still going through/get processed.

musewalker

Postby musewalker » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:14 pm

seb@plogue wrote:

That means that calling process for the ReWire device returns an error which should be logged in the bidule.log file.

I recreated the issue quickly; it doesn't take time to fail. I have saved-off the log file but here is a portion that I see regarding an error. If you need more of the file I can provide.

E:0x 110:3012:18678776:Max 7 ReWire Error:666

seb@plogue wrote:

What is written there is built from the information received by the ReWire device, the code goes through the available MIDI ports and for each one ask to which bus it corresponds to and then for each of the 16 channels what is it connected to, if no information is returned it does not display anything. So it's possible that things are still going through/get processed.

I have issued a help-ticket with the Max folks to see what I am missing. What I can confirm is that I am not receiving, nor is it processing anything other than ch1. When I through Reason rewire as a slave in my bidule patch, it populated the ch as one would expect. I send 16 chs of midi info and all is great.

There is something weird going on. I'm perplexed. There is probably an "undocumented feature" that requires you to do something - however, I have no clue. I had turned things on its head, having Reaper be the Host and max the slave, (outside bidule)....running things thru max and it crashed - a lot when I ran it as a slave in ad_rewire mode. I'll post back once I find out more. This is definitely a Max7 issue (or lack in documentation).

musewalker

Postby musewalker » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:59 am

Hey Seb,

I heard back from Cycling74,

(Cycling '74 Support)
Aug 17, 15:58 PDT
Hi Gary,
For the original issue, I assume you've set Max to have all 16 ports in the audio status window? The screenshot shows what it looks like for me.

For the timeout issue, that seems like a Plogue issue, not a Max one. Did they disagree?

The 16 ports answer doesn't make sense so I am going to dig into it for them with screen shots. This is in regards to the max7 rewire only showing MIDI Ch1 with the rest blank. I have zero idea why having more ports will fix this. Ports do not equal midi channels.

The other was in regards to the max7 rewire module going into by-pass mode. I posted the error and kept the entire log as you suggested. Here is that code again

E:0x 110:3012:18678776:Max 7 ReWire Error:666

Thanks for your help and guidance. If you need the entire log, please let me know

seb@plogue
Site Admin

Postby seb@plogue » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:08 am

It's and undefined error in the ReWire SDK which is weird. What's even weirder is suddenly getting it from processing, seeing at the beginning when trying to open the device would make more sense.

That error seems to be coming from within the ReWire shared library as far as I can tell.

musewalker

Postby musewalker » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:34 pm

seb@plogue wrote:It's and undefined error in the ReWire SDK which is weird. What's even weirder is suddenly getting it from processing, seeing at the beginning when trying to open the device would make more sense.

That error seems to be coming from within the ReWire shared library as far as I can tell.

Not cool if you're stumped. :) I don't like that I'm finding the weird stuff. lol

Well, I am in contact with cycling74 support so I passed on your comment to see if they can shed some light. I'll let you know once I hear back.

[UPDATE]
I passed on the information, its going to be passed onto their engineers, no promise they can shed any light on the problem.

Return to “Bidule Bugs and Problems”