DiscreteStackFail

Post your bug reports/problems here

Moderators: davidv, seb@plogue

NTO

DiscreteStackFail

Postby NTO » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:00 am

I want to use the stack to save/retrieve values. After discovering the 'audio'/sample stack was a transient device, I set out to try the 'discrete' version to accomplish my goal.
This has been a total failure. :shock:
This is the most simple manual (all discrete) version I can think of, and there is no response to my action. :oops:
2017-10-30_BiduleDiscreteStackTestCase.png
2017-10-30_BiduleDiscreteStackTestCase.png (67.61 KiB) Viewed 442 times

What is needed to push some value(s), and retrieve?
BiduleDiscreteStackTestCase.bidule
(10.74 KiB) Downloaded 4 times

Second question. What values can a discrete hold? Just using 1/0 in the test case...

boonier

Re: DiscreteStackFail

Postby boonier » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:00 am

Have you used the Discrete trigger group (Jersmi's or dtz350's)? As the basic discrete trigger will not out 100... only 111..... until it's told otherwise.

I think this might be the problem?

NTO

Postby NTO » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:33 pm

hi boonier,
Thanks for your input. I think I follow. I took the trigger from jersmi's code snippet in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7905&p=42301&hilit=discrete+%26%26+trigger#p42301

I'm no further in my attempt. I left out the manual trigger dialogs from this screen cap. I made a group for the stack w/variable. Also a group to allow using an accum for transient activity monitor on the pins. Those confirm I'm giving a value to the stack value in, and triggers at push and pop. Still, nothing out.

2017-11-02_BiduleDiscreteStackTest.png
2017-11-02_BiduleDiscreteStackTest.png (115.12 KiB) Viewed 390 times

DaveDraper

Postby DaveDraper » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:48 am

Hi, it's me again...
Here's a mod of your test patch, with a bit of DTS350z's 'Discrete trigger 2 & sample & hold' bidule, from the link I posted over on your other thread: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7152&p=38450&hilit=stack#p38450
There's an explanation there of what the tiny multiplication is all about (a small change to cause the discrete, slightly-but-unnoticeably changed value of the variable to be passed to the input of the stack, at exactly the same time the stack push trigger arrives). Getting the value to arrive at the same time as the trigger is the key.
You still won't see any values change on the push trigger, but on pop they'll show up.
Once again, using discrete monitors rather than value displays will catch what's going on in the process, - this helps if it doesn't seem to be working right.
hth
Dave

DaveDraper

Postby DaveDraper » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:50 am

Doh! Forgot to attach the layout! :oops:
DiscTrig2 and DiscStack.bidule
(10.5 KiB) Downloaded 6 times

NTO

Postby NTO » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:23 am

DaveDraper wrote:Hi, it's me again...

Glad to have your help! :D
Here's a mod of your test patch, with a bit of DTS350z's 'Discrete trigger 2 & sample & hold' bidule...

When I read in the link you gave, I didn't comprehend! :shock: Then, I took boonier's clue, to think I could achieve w/just the provided trigger - where I saw a timing aspect as the change...

There's an explanation there of... Getting the value to arrive at the same time as the trigger is the key.

Not thinking that 'sample and hold' was where I wanted to go - led to not downloading/examining that bidule :oops: , and left me broken.

Once again, using discrete monitors rather than value displays will catch what's going on in the process, - this helps if it doesn't seem to be working right.

Yes. Different way to achieve what my limited experience was forcing w/standard accum :roll: .

hth

BIG time! Thank you very much for taking this time to help.
(Still need to use to wrap my head around the implications, but a much better place now)

Return to “Bidule Bugs and Problems”