How to access paramater values

Discussion about the Bidule SDK, post your questions, feature request and plugins here.

Moderators: davidv, seb@plogue

dts350z

How to access paramater values

Postby dts350z » Mon May 10, 2010 10:44 pm

Is it possible to get at parameter values via the SDK? I mean parameters that aren't connected or linked to a sdk made plugin.

seb@plogue
Site Admin

Re: How to access paramater values

Postby seb@plogue » Tue May 11, 2010 8:48 am

Is it possible to get at parameter values via the SDK? I mean parameters that aren't connected or linked to a sdk made plugin.

No, you only have access to your instantiated plug-in parameters. The only workaround would be to use parameter linking with your plug-in parameters as the target.

dts350z

Postby dts350z » Wed May 12, 2010 8:27 pm

seb@plogue wrote:

No, you only have access to your instantiated plug-in parameters. The only workaround would be to use parameter linking with your plug-in parameters as the target.

So to build a plugin that recored and played back parameter movements outside itself I would actually need 2 plugin parameters for each parameter to play/record? One as a recorder/link target and one as a player/link source?

This leads me to wonder if midi would be a better approach, but you have to have some sort of midi device to make that happen (you can't create one inside bidule and then map parameters to it)?

seb@plogue
Site Admin

Postby seb@plogue » Thu May 13, 2010 9:27 am

So to build a plugin that recored and played back parameter movements outside itself I would actually need 2 plugin parameters for each parameter to play/record? One as a recorder/link target and one as a player/link source?

Most likely, in addition you should probably have code to protect endless loop of setting values (i.e. you need to know you are the source for a change and you shouldn't record it). The other issue would be that you would need to specify an external file to read from/write to.

This leads me to wonder if midi would be a better approach, but you have to have some sort of midi device to make that happen (you can't create one inside bidule and then map parameters to it)?

With MIDI you will only have 128 discrete values which might be good enough or not.

dts350z

Postby dts350z » Fri May 14, 2010 2:03 pm

OK, on a related topic, If I link a parameter in a plugin to that same plugin's "Preset Number" Plogue crashes as soon as I start processing (or maybe it's when I start running audio through the plugin).

Am I creating a feedback loop?

dts350z

Postby dts350z » Fri May 14, 2010 2:07 pm

dts350z wrote:OK, on a related topic, If I link a parameter in a plugin to that same plugin's "Preset Number" Plogue crashes as soon as I start processing (or maybe it's when I start running audio through the plugin).

Am I creating a feedback loop?

Actually the crash occurs when the parameter source changes value.

seb@plogue
Site Admin

Postby seb@plogue » Mon May 17, 2010 9:56 am

Looks like an infinite loop, changing the parameter value which will change the preset which will change the parameter value which will change the preset...

Return to “Bidule SDK”