SDK Theoretical ?'s

Discussion about the Bidule SDK, post your questions, feature request and plugins here.

Moderators: davidv, seb@plogue

sondod

SDK Theoretical ?'s

Postby sondod » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:19 am

In theory, can any group can be made into a plugin?
In turn can plugins have sub plugins?
Can you add and or view existing bidules (not groups)?

seb@plogue
Site Admin

Re: SDK Theoretical ?'s

Postby seb@plogue » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:01 pm

If your group is made out of really basic bidules where you know/can tell the processing they do and can re-code it then you could redo your group in code and expose any parameters you wish. You do not have access to existing bidules with the SDK, it's really meant to code your own processing function.

sondod

Postby sondod » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:31 pm

I'm just getting pushed more and more toward the SDK these days. I was hoping to be able to by example take the Basic Audio, peek under the hood and make a mono version. Looking at groups now I'm starting to see where things could be coded but trying to figure what the limitations will be once I jump in.

As an example though if I made a mono audio player would i be able to use it by example in a simple loop plugin?

seb@plogue
Site Admin

Postby seb@plogue » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:46 pm

As an example though if I made a mono audio player would i be able to use it by example in a simple loop plugin?

I'm not sure I understand. The SDK gives you the tools and hooks to define a bidule as having this inputs and that outputs and these parameters, and you fill in the processing function with your own code you can't have things like :

send inputs to a basic audio file player, take the output of the basic audio file player and sent it to this other bidule...

sondod

Postby sondod » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:04 pm

I realize that. But my thought was that inside of the basic audio player is the code for the file the play controls and the outputs. Call it 'bap.xxx'. It compiles to the audio player. But couldn't I then take bap.xx and load it into another plugin which by example sets loop points for it? Not like a group inside a group but just building off the old code?

seb@plogue
Site Admin

Postby seb@plogue » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:07 pm

The SDK gives you the interface code with Bidule and a skeleton to do your work, you do not have access to the source code for the existing bidules. Given that nothing prevents anyone to write a file looper or player.

boonier

Postby boonier » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:53 am

On a side note...

It would make a useful example however, as to how to index the audio file in the c++ code. I understand that existing code is off limits and that's fair enough, but where would one get an idea of how to do this - is it a pretty generic method? I get how to do it in essence, but as always there's a 'right' way to index a table in c++

cheers

dts350z

Postby dts350z » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:51 pm

Yes I'll add my vote to that.

Since the basic audio player gives bad sound after ~5 minutes audio duration, more hooks into audio files would be great.

seb@plogue
Site Admin

Postby seb@plogue » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:05 pm

There is no specific way to access the contents in C++, it depends on what you need.

If you have a constant stride, simply incrementing/decrementing the pointer with a check for the boundary
(there is no way to know the size of a chunk of memory, use the numSamples value in the struct...), if you
will be accessing randomly you should simply index the pointer as an array (and still check for boundaries).

Return to “Bidule SDK”