A couple of new bidules

Discussion about the Bidule SDK, post your questions, feature request and plugins here.

Moderators: davidv, seb@plogue

mpoole

A couple of new bidules

Postby mpoole » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:07 pm

I've finally had enough time to look at the SDK seb so kindly let me look at and have produced a couple of bidules to provide solutions for some MIDI control issues I wanted solved in a way I understood.

bidule number one is for use with an iCON iStage to make it generate a range of Program Change messages and from those and a merged MIDI stream create the correct MIDI message to change the LED on the device. A bit like Image

bidule number two is to allow me to combine multiple Virtual Instruments into a logical Instrument Bank and have them selected by sequential Program Change messages. This looks a bit like the following Image

I would be interested in any feedback my fellow denizens of this area might have about these little beasties. They can be found over at https://quatermass.co.uk/toolsmith/bidule/
A Pit Denizen

mpoole

Re: A couple of new bidules

Postby mpoole » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:16 pm

And here comes another one

Well, over the break I tried to update the firmware on the iStage and basically I've as good as bricked it. To be honest whilst the physical hardware is not too bad the quality of firmware and MIDI handling are complete rubbish. I would not recommend one of these to anybody.

Which brings me to the replacement, a bidule to behave like I wanted the iStage to behave but with decent hardware.

https://quatermass.co.uk/toolsmith/bidule/Bidule.Launchpad.PC1.zip is a similar mapping of buttons to Program Change messages with LED feedback for use with the Novation Launchpad

Again, if anybody has any feedback on these I'd be glad to hear it.
A Pit Denizen

steves4580

Postby steves4580 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:33 pm

Hi,
Any chance you could post some screenshots of the launchpad feedback bidule? My pc can't open the file. :oops:
Thanks

mpoole

Postby mpoole » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:34 pm

steves4580 wrote:Hi,
Any chance you could post some screenshots of the launchpad feedback bidule? My pc can't open the file. :oops:
Thanks

The Launchpad bidule behaves exactly like the the iStage version.
The file contains a Mac OSX 64bit build as that's what I have.
A Pit Denizen

steves4580

Postby steves4580 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:09 am

Hi,
I can't open the iStage patch either. Just wondered if there were any screenshots showing what was going on inside the LP/iStage groups shown on your website, so I could try and come up with the same thing myself.

I've been playing around with using the LP to trigger program/instrument changes but so far haven't found a way to make Bidule communicate with the LP LED's so I can see what I'm doing. Are you using AutoMap to do this?

Slightly out of my depth with this so was looking for something pre-built that I could modify.

Any pointers would be much appreciated.

mpoole

Postby mpoole » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:04 pm

steves4580 wrote:Hi,
I can't open the iStage patch either.

All of the bidules are Mac OS/X 64bit only (and probably 10.7.x/10.8.x only).

steves4580 wrote: Just wondered if there were any screenshots showing what was going on inside the LP/iStage groups shown on your website, so I could try and come up with the same thing myself.

I've been playing around with using the LP to trigger program/instrument changes but so far haven't found a way to make Bidule communicate with the LP LED's so I can see what I'm doing. Are you using AutoMap to do this?

The main logic of the internals is fairly simple.

• Any MIDI data coming in on MIDI Input 2 is copied to MIDI Output 2
  • Any Program Change coming in on MIDI Input 2 turns previous PC LED on Launchpad to dim yellow and turns new PC to bright green
  • Any main button pressed on Launchpad creates PC message send to MIDI Output 2 and triggers LED change as above
  • If the All Notes Off on PC option is set then All Notes Off is sent to MIDI Output 2 prior to sending any Program Change.

The handling of the Launchpad is done by direct MIDI messages. The details are all available in the Launchpad Programmers Reference Guide at the bottom of the page.
A Pit Denizen

steves4580

Postby steves4580 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:29 am

Cheers. Will take a proper look at the programming guide.

Return to “Bidule SDK”