Need hint on hand editing layout

Discussion about the Bidule SDK, post your questions, feature request and plugins here.

Moderators: davidv, seb@plogue

dts350z

Need hint on hand editing layout

Postby dts350z » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:34 pm

Well I know this is asking for a lot, but I have a really complicated layout and I want to rev one of my plugins. Usually I can get away with this by editing the layout and changing the version number. E.g. changing:

Code: Select all

<Bidule id="UID_1295992174" type="com.surroundbyus.Zmeter3_2" displayName="Zmeter3.2" processingMode="passthrough">

to:

Code: Select all

<Bidule id="UID_1295992174" type="com.surroundbyus.Zmeter3_3" displayName="Zmeter3.3" processingMode="passthrough">

(assuming the same number/order of pins & parameters ,or sometimes even when adding parameters). This lets me "replace" the plugin without losing all the links.

No luck with this method today however. Bidule keeps crashing. Normally I'd suspect my plugin, but if I use the plugin in fresh layouts, or even cut down layouts with this edit method it works OK.

Any tips as to why this technique might not work (or be a good idea). Any alternate method? Some sort of replace but keep all links would be great (but yeah I realize it'd only be applicable to this revised plugin case, well maybe similar with VST or going from a mono to stereo plug/vst or something).

Hmm... If there was a way to copy selected links from one layout to another that would also solve the problem:

1) Copy plugin related links from old layout (sort by source, then target to get both cases)
2) use the context menu "replace" to update the plugin
3) Paste back the links (er... I guess they'd have version info too though?)

seb@plogue
Site Admin

Re: Need hint on hand editing layout

Postby seb@plogue » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:05 am

(assuming the same number/order of pins & parameters ,or sometimes even when adding parameters). This lets me "replace" the plugin without losing all the links.

That should really "just work" given these are true. Did you change any parameter range or type?
Could it be coming from a specific parameter value?
You could try removing the <Parameter lines and see if it makes any difference.

1) Copy plugin related links from old layout (sort by source, then target to get both cases)
2) use the context menu "replace" to update the plugin
3) Paste back the links (er... I guess they'd have version info too though?)

Replace should keep the links put you will lose the parameter values.

dts350z

Postby dts350z » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:17 pm

My experience with replace is that I do lose the links. I had tried that again yesterday, but will repeat again and take screen shots of the parameters window.

seb@plogue
Site Admin

Postby seb@plogue » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:23 pm

By links, I understood connections not parameter links! Parameter links are definitely not preserved when doing a replace (well unless you are replacing a MIDI Input/CC To Params by a MIDI Input/CC To Params)

dts350z

Postby dts350z » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:34 pm

OK, got it. Yeah I meant "parameter links".

Return to “Bidule SDK”