Any reason to use 64-bit version?

General discussion about chipsounds

Moderators: eric_telemaque, davidv, seb@plogue

Tansunn

Any reason to use 64-bit version?

Postby Tansunn » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:47 pm

I'm using FL Studio 10 and although it's a 32-bit DAW, it has a bridged mode for loading 64-bit plugins. Is there any reason to use the 64-bit version over the 32-bit version? I'm not entirely sure what the difference would be between the two, and just because I can use it doesn't necessarily mean I should use it.

davidv
Site Admin

Re: Any reason to use 64-bit version?

Postby davidv » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:00 am

Tansunn wrote:I'm using FL Studio 10 and although it's a 32-bit DAW, it has a bridged mode for loading 64-bit plugins. Is there any reason to use the 64-bit version over the 32-bit version? I'm not entirely sure what the difference would be between the two, and just because I can use it doesn't necessarily mean I should use it.

Hi indeed, no need to just because you can. using a 32->64->32 bridge is REALLY inefficient,

and in this particular case, chipsounds does NOT need the extra ram 64bit provides. The 64bit plugin of chipsounds is really there for people who have native 64bit daws, so that a 64->32->64 bridge is unnecessary.
David Viens,
Plogue Art et Technologie Inc. Montreal.
http://www.plogue.com

Tansunn

Re: Any reason to use 64-bit version?

Postby Tansunn » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:10 am

Thanks, that's good to know. I just got a new computer on Tuesday and it's my first experience with being able to run 64-bit programs. I was aware of the extended RAM limit per-program but that's pretty much the only thing I knew about it.

Return to “chipsounds General”