tips for playing live?

General discussion about chipsounds

Moderators: eric_telemaque, davidv, seb@plogue

Pulselooper

tips for playing live?

Postby Pulselooper » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:08 pm

hey folks, I'm now definitely using chipsounds on my live set. I have three channels open, each with one chipsounds VSTi. But I still haven't figured out the easiest way to change my sounds presets (I normally use one or two different sound presets for each song). Didn't want to do this via trackpad. Is there another way of changing the banks via midi or something? That would be great.

thanks!

davidv
Site Admin

Re: tips for playing live?

Postby davidv » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:22 am

The easiest way would be to load a bunch of presets starting on the /next/ empty mixer slot and change the channel routing so that you can swap sounds using your MIDI controller's output channel setting.
David Viens,
Plogue Art et Technologie Inc. Montreal.
http://www.plogue.com

Pulselooper

Postby Pulselooper » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:17 am

hum, that sounds like a good idea. So I could have up to 20 different settings, one for each midi channel, right?

I just don't know how would I do to control the volumes of each preset... can you map midi knobs to chipsounds volume?

I'll try that when I get home from work, thanks!

Pulselooper

Postby Pulselooper » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:39 am

ok, I got it. But now I have another question: is there a way of making independent mappings for each slot in the mixer? For example: I have an open chipsounds for "bass". And each slot in the mixer has a different preset. I wanted to be able to map each slot/parameter's PWM Ratio independently, but chipsounds only allow me to use one slot's PWM (or other parameter).

Sorry if this sounds confusing, I could send some screen pics to illustrate what I'm trying to find out.

Thanks!

davidv
Site Admin

Postby davidv » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:46 am

Using normal "plugin parameters" you cant, however you can use CCs mapped to the target channel.
David Viens,

structurefall

Postby structurefall » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:10 pm

on a related note, i've been using chipsounds live for a while now, and i've found that if i, for example, hit two keys at almost-but-not-quite the same time, the sound will chop off early, which is bad. is this a bug, or is it part of the modeling that's behaving as expected?

my host is logic 8.

davidv
Site Admin

Postby davidv » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:24 am

structurefall wrote:on a related note, i've been using chipsounds live for a while now, and i've found that if i, for example, hit two keys at almost-but-not-quite the same time, the sound will chop off early, which is bad. is this a bug, or is it part of the modeling that's behaving as expected?

my host is logic 8.

Hum depends on lots of factors, including the current settings of arp, midi delay and wave sequencer. if you can reproduce using a specific patch could you save it as an ariax file (snapshot) and send it over as pm?
David Viens,

Return to “chipsounds General”