note pan

General discussion about chipsounds

Moderators: eric_telemaque, davidv, seb@plogue

ker2x

note pan

Postby ker2x » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:45 am

Friendly greetings !

I'm using Fruity Studio 10 as host for Chipsounds.
In the pianoroll, addtionally to velocity, you can also change the pan note per note.
However, it seems that it have no effect in chipsounds. Am i doing something wrong or is it a "feature" ?

What i'm willing to do is changing the pan according to the note pitch (bass to the left, mid on center, treble to the right).
Is there a way to do this ?

Thank you :)

davidv
Site Admin

Re: note pan

Postby davidv » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:24 am

ker2x wrote:Friendly greetings !

I'm using Fruity Studio 10 as host for Chipsounds.
In the pianoroll, addtionally to velocity, you can also change the pan note per note.
However, it seems that it have no effect in chipsounds. Am i doing something wrong or is it a "feature" ?

What i'm willing to do is changing the pan according to the note pitch (bass to the left, mid on center, treble to the right).
Is there a way to do this ?

Thank you :)

pan per note is not midi, must be a FL plugin only feature.
David Viens,
Plogue Art et Technologie Inc. Montreal.
http://www.plogue.com

ker2x

Postby ker2x » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:44 am

davidv wrote:pan per note is not midi, must be a FL plugin only feature.

That's what i thought ... (and that's why i explained i was using FL :D )
Thank you !

Tansunn

Postby Tansunn » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:36 pm

Load up an instance of Chipsounds and a Fruity Keyboard Controller.

Load a chip in Chipsounds.

Expand the active range of the Keyboard Controller to cover the range you want to use with the lowest pitch being 100% left and the highest pitch being 100% right.

Click the drop-down menu next to the Current Key display on the Keyboard Controller and select Auto Map (white + black).

Link the panning to the keyboard controller (note, not velocity), either by turning the panning knob within Chipsounds and using the Last Tweaked option in the Tools menu, or by right clicking the channel panning knob.

Sequence a track in Chipsounds.

Copy that track and paste it in the Keyboard Controller.

When you play it back, the Keyboard Controller should now be affecting the panning in Chipsounds based on the pitch being played.

davidv
Site Admin

Postby davidv » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:42 am

Tansunn wrote:When you play it back, the Keyboard Controller should now be affecting the panning in Chipsounds based on the pitch being played.

Hey thanks Tansunn! I didnt know that was possible.
David Viens,

Plogue Art et Technologie Inc. Montreal.

http://www.plogue.com

Tansunn

Postby Tansunn » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:26 pm

Yeah, FL Studio's Keyboard Controller is pretty cool once you figure out how it works. Basically it converts MIDI note data into MIDI controller data so you can use the notes' pitch or velocity to automate different parameters rather than using knobs or sliders. That's why the track from Chipsounds had to be copied, so the Keyboard Controller would have some input to control the panning based on the pitch. You could easily make a new track for the Keyboard Controller if you didn't want the panning to correspond to the pitch, though.

Return to “chipsounds General”