Saving Mixer settings to Snapshot

General discussion about chipsounds

Moderators: eric_telemaque, davidv, seb@plogue

Couch_King

Saving Mixer settings to Snapshot

Postby Couch_King » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:15 pm

Hi,

I just purchased Chipsounds, and I'm trying to set up a template in Logic 9 for quick access to a multitimbral layout. I tried saving a snapshot with the output routing, and midi input channels for my template, but when I load the snapshot it loads it with all the MIDI inputs to Omni and all the audio outs to 1/2. There is nothing in any of the mixer channels other than the I/O settings, do I need to add chips for it to save these settings? I wanted to leave it blank so I could pull up the chips as desired for each session.

Thanks

davidv
Site Admin

Re: Saving Mixer settings to Snapshot

Postby davidv » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:44 pm

Couch_King wrote:There is nothing in any of the mixer channels other than the I/O settings, do I need to add chips for it to save these settings?

That is indeed correct, but changing this behaviour would break so many things, I cant say its going to happen sadly.

Thanks for the question. its interresting to hear how people use chipsounds.

Regards
David Viens,
Plogue Art et Technologie Inc. Montreal.
http://www.plogue.com

Couch_King

Postby Couch_King » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:19 pm

davidv wrote:That is indeed correct, but changing this behaviour would break so many things, I cant say its going to happen sadly.

No worries. That's what I figured, but I had to ask anyway.

As for your default multitimbral presets, are the set waveforms in these snapshots the available voices on the physical chips? Or were composers able to change waveforms? Just curious for if I wanted to make a really authentic sounding tune.

Sorry to hammer you with a ton of questions at once, but I noticed in the manual it said that some of the chips had sample players. Is there a way to use Chipsounds as a sampler?

davidv
Site Admin

Postby davidv » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:31 am

Couch_King wrote:As for your default multitimbral presets, are the set waveforms in these snapshots the available voices on the physical chips? Or were composers able to change waveforms? Just curious for if I wanted to make a really authentic sounding tune.

Each multitimbral snapshot give you at least the correct maximum number of channels each chip was capable of.
Though as you point out, not every chip was capable of every type of waveform on every channel.

2600: two channels of anything
6581: three channels of mostly everything (you cant do ring mod or hard sync unless you sacrifice a channel), Drum is not really a channel more than 8bit programmer hack to play samples using the volume register.
Amiga 4 channels of anything
CSDJ (Gameboy+LSDJ-like)... fixed waveforms
CV (colecoVision) -> fixed
MIDIBigN: (NES), fixed, but you can change Pulse width on chans 1 and 2
ST-> fixed (kinda), its more complex than that
V20 ( Vic20 )-> fixed

Couch_King wrote:Sorry to hammer you with a ton of questions at once, but I noticed in the manual it said that some of the chips had sample players. Is there a way to use Chipsounds as a sampler?

Not easily at this point, but we are thinking of something.
You can only import MOD files and similar for now.
David Viens,

Plogue Art et Technologie Inc. Montreal.

http://www.plogue.com

Return to “chipsounds General”