portamento without retrigger

Discussion on the SFZ implementation and opcodes available in the ARIA engine.

Moderators: eric_telemaque, davidv

musicalman

portamento without retrigger

Postby musicalman » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:34 pm

Hi all,
From the free sounds pack, I noticed that some sounds use some form of portamento, so I decided I'd try to use it, however it seems to be somewhat limited, though this may be because I don't know all the Aria specific opcodes. The only way I've been able to get it to work is similar to a polyphonic portamento, which simply slides the pitch from the last played note to the currently playing note. It does work polyphonically, but that's an effect I've never really been a fan of in most synths. Instead what I am trying to do is what a lot of synths seem to call legato or mono legato or something like that, where only one note can be played at a time, and if two notes overlap, the pitch of the currently playing region slides to the new pitch without retriggering the region or starting a new region. In case it is of some use, I've put a simple SFZ here just to show what I've got.

<global>
polyphony=1

<group>
amp_veltrack=0
eg0_sustain=1
eg0_level0=-1
eg0_time0=0
eg0_level1=0
eg0_pitch_oncc140=100
eg0_time1=0.05

<region> sample=*saw
volume=-10

When playing this, glitches can clearly be heard through legato notes. I've tried using trigger=first, but this prohibits the pitch from sliding during legato passages to my testing. Nothing I've been able to find so far seems to have anything to do with the behavior of note ons, they just define conditions for when notes play but in all cases, they ultimately will retrigger regions instead of working with notes that are already being held. Is there anything else to try or is this not something supported by Sforzando?

Return to “SFZ Programming”