A strumming engine in SFZ?

Discussion on the SFZ implementation and opcodes available in the ARIA engine.

Moderators: eric_telemaque, davidv

DSmolken

A strumming engine in SFZ?

Postby DSmolken » Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:18 am

Has anybody made a guitar strummer in SFZ? I know it's possible - I've done some keyswitchable chords for Emilyguitar, and to turn them into strums would just mean delaying the start of some of the notes slightly, and making that delay a multiple of the string number and a MIDI CC that would control strum speed.

Add some control for up, down, and which strings (5-6 for full acoustic-style strums, 1-4 upper strings for funk) - this might be easiest with keyswitches - and that should be all that's needed, right?

So, I'm sure I could do it, but I'm wondering if somebody's done it already so I could take a look at how it can work.
www.karoryfer.com/karoryfer-samples is where my sfz libraries are

eric_telemaque

Re: A strumming engine in SFZ?

Postby eric_telemaque » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:34 am

That sounds like a fantastic project!

I don't remember any strumming programming already out there, although some tempo sync'ed drum patterns have been made for Garritan World Instruments, shows that it's doable.
Éric Patenaude,
Plogue Art et Technologie Inc. Montreal.
http://www.plogue.com

DSmolken

Re: A strumming engine in SFZ?

Postby DSmolken » Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:17 am

Tempo-synced should be doable; press a key and get a strummed chord is definitely doable and really quite simple.

I'm just thinking about this because I know somebody with a pretty high-end acoustic guitar who owes me a recording session...
www.karoryfer.com/karoryfer-samples is where my sfz libraries are

Return to “SFZ Programming”