Choosing region depending on current beat (is it possible?)

Discussion on the SFZ implementation and opcodes available in the ARIA engine.

Moderators: eric_telemaque, davidv

niki

Choosing region depending on current beat (is it possible?)

Postby niki » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:59 am

Hi!
Is there any way to choose region to play depending on current beat information from DAW?
I want for example to play different samples on even and odd 1/8.

Alternating with seq_length and seq_position doesn't work here
Because if I have for example notes on 1/8 and on 3/8 I want to them to be played by same region.

Sadly we don't have global LFO (synced to BPM) that would do the trick.

Sadly we have no way (as far as I understand) to retrieve beat information from host. Only BPM which is not enough I believe.

I have in mind couple of not very elegant ideas that might work but they incorporate third party midi processing tools and/or much attention with programming MIDI parts and MIDI track configuration for the end user of the library. So I don't like them at all.

pljones

Re: Choosing region depending on current beat (is it possible?)

Postby pljones » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:04 pm

Because if I have for example notes on 1/8 and on 3/8 I want to them to be played by same region.

Remember samples are only loaded once regardless of how many regions refer to them.

A region says "play" based on its criteria. If you have multiple reasons to play a sample that means you really have multiple regions - no point avoiding the issue, as you save nothing.

I don't know if sync_beats and sync_offset help (or if ARIA engine supports them)?

niki

Postby niki » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:32 pm

Remember samples are only loaded once regardless of how many regions refer to them.

Sorry, my bad. Of course I meant same sample... Thanks for pointing this out..

I don't know if sync_beats and sync_offset help (or if ARIA engine supports them)?

It seems that sforzando doesn't support them. (Or I don't understand how they work)

davidv
Site Admin

Postby davidv » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:56 am

niki wrote:It seems that sforzando doesn't support them. (Or I don't understand how they work)

That is correct. Syncing to DAW beats is something incredibly broken in many DAWs so its a support nightmare for us.
(Without getting into details, the information regarding PPQ pos of the current bar is often wrong and misunderstood from DAW makers)

You can use delay_beats which works fine as its really a delay in beats after you press a key. Not what you want directly but theres fun to be had.
David Viens,
Plogue Art et Technologie Inc. Montreal.
http://www.plogue.com

niki

Postby niki » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:40 pm

davidv wrote:You can use delay_beats which works fine as its really a delay in beats after you press a key. Not what you want directly but theres fun to be had.

Sure that is interesting opcode that I also use (but for little different purpose).

For now I decided to use third party MIDI CC generating plugin that syncs to DAW and gives me different CC values on even and odd beats. Not very elegant, but it works for now.
(Anyway simple global LFO with BPM sync would be great feature to see in future evolution of sfz format...)

Return to “SFZ Programming”