Use of pan in ARIA.

Discussion on the SFZ implementation and opcodes available in the ARIA engine.

Moderators: eric_telemaque, davidv

SysExJohn

Use of pan in ARIA.

Postby SysExJohn » Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:40 am

Having just purchased the GPO5 library (and having all the Garritan ARIA based ones apart from CFX ,to date), I'm trying to do some customisation of the sfz files and have created a re-layout of the instrument controls (3 rows of 5 rather than 4).
Effectively I'd like some of the GPO4 controls in the new instruments, and some of the new controls, like ADSR, in the old.

Regarding pan, I see that frequently they use pan_law=no_law which I thought was deprecated? Any reason that you can disclose?
Further I see a pan=1.333, but its effect seems to be to send the instrument about a third over to the left? Maybe cc#10=40 or thereabouts.
I thought pan was from -100 to 100, according to Simon Cann.

Further, I often find, amongst the woodwind certainly, a mixture of mono and stereo samples for one instrument.
Shouldn't the stereo samples employ a width=0 to make them perform the same as the mono samples?

Any insights you may be able to share with me would be greatly appreciated.
Kind regards,
John.
Garritan GPO4, IO, JaBB3, CoMB2, World, Harps, GCPO, GPO5.

SysExJohn

Re: Use of pan in ARIA.

Postby SysExJohn » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:04 am

I'd be very grateful for some clarification, please?

Kind regards,
John.

SysExJohn

Postby SysExJohn » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:42 am

I wonder if my post has been read yet?
Kind regards,
John.

chad

Postby chad » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:13 am

SysExJohn wrote:Having just purchased the GPO5 library (and having all the Garritan ARIA based ones apart from CFX ,to date), I'm trying to do some customisation of the sfz files and have created a re-layout of the instrument controls (3 rows of 5 rather than 4).
Effectively I'd like some of the GPO4 controls in the new instruments, and some of the new controls, like ADSR, in the old.

Hi John,

Good to see you over here on this forum, sorry for the delay in responding. The other customizations you've done and sent me have been great.

Regarding pan, I see that frequently they use pan_law=no_law which I thought was deprecated? Any reason that you can disclose?

ARIA still supports some deprecated sfz opcodes, for instance many instruments still use the old style envelope generator opcodes when they should be using EG nodes. Some of these original instruments are old and have been revised many times, so sometimes the older opcodes linger. Not any particular reason we've used them that I can remember.

Further I see a pan=1.333, but its effect seems to be to send the instrument about a third over to the left? Maybe cc#10=40 or thereabouts.
I thought pan was from -100 to 100, according to Simon Cann.

Many of these instrument values were based off of older Kontakt instrument values from GPO3, sometimes you'll see very particular opcode values from Tom's programming. The goal was to get things as close to the instrument sounds as we had before with improvements. Were there any set_cc10 values also being sent? You are correct the pan= range is -100 to 100. Keep in mind if Stereo Stage is enabled the Effect will override the Pan settings for that instrument.

Further, I often find, amongst the woodwind certainly, a mixture of mono and stereo samples for one instrument.
Shouldn't the stereo samples employ a width=0 to make them perform the same as the mono samples?

If Stereo Stage is enabled by default for these instruments it shouldn't matter, and I believe it is for most of these instruments.

I hope I was able to answer some of your questions. Let me know if you have more!

Best,
Chad

SysExJohn

Postby SysExJohn » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:46 am

Thanks very much Chad.
I'd begun to think I was carrying the plague! ;-)

Some more investigation is necessary on my behalf I think.
I'm still very much a newbie when it comes to sfz code though.
The brain has slowed down more than a little since the mid-sixties when I began.
I just thought, that's fifty years of programming!
Not TOO bad for an oldie I suppose?

Yea, I do get about from forum to forum.

Kind regards,
John.

Return to “SFZ Programming”