Sample interpolation quality?

Discussion on the SFZ implementation and opcodes available in the ARIA engine.

Moderators: eric_telemaque, davidv

Cyberdyne387

Sample interpolation quality?

Postby Cyberdyne387 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:56 pm

I had originally posted this in a thread I deleted immediately after, but I feel it's worth asking, now.

Is it possible to control the sample playback quality in ARIA? I personally have been trying to make samples play with no interpolation a la the 8-bit samples in chipsounds. It's proving easier said than done, however, when it comes to 16-bit audio, for instance. Best I've been able to pull off without being limited to 8-bit linear audio (other than the disk-intensive process of slowing down and bitcrushing copies of the raw samples before loading) is applying the apparently-built-in samplerate decimator to samples, but even that is proving difficult to make sound faithful, particularly when it comes to fractions of an integer for a value, which is going to happen when transposing a sample by anything other than an octave.

Is there something I'm missing for sample interpolation? If not, are there plans for either chipsounds or the entire ARIA engine to support what I'm trying to achieve with 16-bit audio? If necessary, I can provide a sample SFZ file showing what I'm trying to do via the decimator.

davidv
Site Admin

Re: Sample interpolation quality?

Postby davidv » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:55 am

Hi

Not right now, but its a feature we would love to add in the future. Something that would emulate a bunch of old classic sampler
playback/pitchshift techniques.

Thanks for asking, proves we were on the right track!
David Viens,
Plogue Art et Technologie Inc. Montreal.
http://www.plogue.com

Cyberdyne387

Postby Cyberdyne387 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:53 pm

First of all, thanks for the response.

As disappointed as I am that the decimator is my best shot at the moment, I'm happy to hear that you hope to implement my idea later!

plastedre

Postby plastedre » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:44 am

Good news,

I look forward to this new feature.

Thank you in advance.

Return to “SFZ Programming”