Is SFZ related to Soundfonts?

Discussion on the SFZ implementation and opcodes available in the ARIA engine.

Moderators: eric_telemaque, davidv

VectorPeasley

Is SFZ related to Soundfonts?

Postby VectorPeasley » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:58 pm

(I apologize in advanced if this question has been submitted in the wrong location.)

Is SFZ in any way related to SoundFonts? Development-wise, is the SFZ format derived from SoundFonts?

As far as I understand things, SFZ is a non-proprietary file format currently maintained by Cakewalk. The SoundFont file format is proprietary.

Is the SFZ file format totally independent from the SoundFont file format? Are they related to each other in any way?

eric_telemaque

Re: Is SFZ related to Soundfonts?

Postby eric_telemaque » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:06 pm

Hi,

The two formats are not related whatsoever, except for their file extension that look too much alike for my tastes :)

Adding to the confusion are the RGC/Cakewalk players: SFZ, which is an SFZ player while SFZ+ is an SF2 player. Go figure...
Éric Patenaude,
Plogue Art et Technologie Inc. Montreal.
http://www.plogue.com

VectorPeasley

Postby VectorPeasley » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:49 pm

eric_telemaque wrote:Hi,

The two formats are not related whatsoever, except for their file extension that look too much alike for my tastes :)

Adding to the confusion are the RGC/Cakewalk players: SFZ, which is an SFZ player while SFZ+ is an SF2 player. Go figure...

Thank you very much for the information!
One more question for ya. Sforzando is a sampler for processing SFZ files. So with that thought in mind, does sforzando also support SoundFonts or other sampling formats? Or does it convert the info and related information into an SFZ file first?

eric_telemaque

Postby eric_telemaque » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:25 pm

sforzando can open sfz but also will load sf2 (soundfont), acidized WAV and DLS formats by converting them to sfz. Upon first import, you will be asked to select a Converted Files folder in which those will be stored. You can then edit them at your will.
Éric Patenaude,
Plogue Art et Technologie Inc. Montreal.
http://www.plogue.com

Return to “SFZ Programming”