velocity to volume and more questions

Discussion on the SFZ implementation and opcodes available in the ARIA engine.

Moderators: eric_telemaque, davidv

nielsdolieslager

velocity to volume and more questions

Postby nielsdolieslager » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:31 am

Hi, I want to release a Sforzando version of my Sea Trumpets: http://tangentedgeinstruments.com/products/sea-trumpets/.
After some hit and miss trials I converted the Kontakt version to Cakewalk format with ChickenSys Translator. A SFZ 2.0 with or without ARIA opcodes won't play any sounds, strangely enough, so I converted to SFZ 1 format.

The playback volume does not respond to velocity. It works in Alchemy Player so I guess the scipt is different.

What do I need to change? All lines look like this:

Code: Select all

<region> sample=..\Samples\Sea Trumpets 052 E2 06 max.wav lokey=51 hikey=52 offset=11025 end=1901696 loop_mode=loop_continuous loopstart=57853 loopend=1758821 pitch_keycenter=52 volume=-15.798374 amp_veltrack=36.22047 ampeg_attack=0.001 ampeg_decay=0.75 ampeg_sustain=84 ampeg_release=0.103 pitchlfo_freq=5

Second question: is there a script for keyfollow? I mean, low keys further left, high keys further right.

Third question: what's the script for adding a background image?

I searched for a place where I can find all this stuff, is there one?

eric_telemaque

Re: velocity to volume and more questions

Postby eric_telemaque » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:11 am

nielsdolieslager wrote:
The playback volume does not respond to velocity. It works in Alchemy Player so I guess the scipt is different.

What do I need to change? All lines look like this:

<region> sample=..\Samples\Sea Trumpets 052 E2 06 max.wav lokey=51 hikey=52 offset=11025 end=1901696 loop_mode=loop_continuous loopstart=57853 loopend=1758821 pitch_keycenter=52 volume=-15.798374 amp_veltrack=36.22047 ampeg_attack=0.001 ampeg_decay=0.75 ampeg_sustain=84 ampeg_release=0.103 pitchlfo_freq=5

Hi,

First I'd try to increase the velocity tracking (amp_veltrack=). Setting it to values closer to 100 should offer a better response. Since that opcode isn't supported by Alchemy Player, it must just default to maximum.

nielsdolieslager wrote:Second question: is there a script for keyfollow? I mean, low keys further left, high keys further right.

Do you mean to extend the range of a played sample? If so, the opcodes you are looking for are lokey=, hikey= and pitch_keycenter=. Values in your excerpt are in MIDI notes. You can change the range of your samples by editing those.

nielsdolieslager wrote:Third question: what's the script for adding a background image?

This isn't supported in Aria as sfz code. Shoot us an email if you want to build a product with images and branding. We'll get you the info.

nielsdolieslager wrote:I searched for a place where I can find all this stuff, is there one?

You're at the right place! The guys around here are pretty helpful!

Cheers!
Éric Patenaude,
Plogue Art et Technologie Inc. Montreal.
http://www.plogue.com

nielsdolieslager

Postby nielsdolieslager » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:56 am

eric_telemaque wrote:First I'd try to increase the velocity tracking (amp_veltrack=). Setting it to values closer to 100 should offer a better response. Since that opcode isn't supported by Alchemy Player, it must just default to maximum.

D'oh! That simple, thanks! 72 feels pretty natural!

eric_telemaque wrote:Do you mean to extend the range of a played sample?

No, I'd like to pan the samples. They are mono and I want low to high spread from left to right. Not too far left and right though.

I'll send an email. Is it also possible to assign knobs to volume of different groups so they can be mixed in?

pljones

Postby pljones » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:47 am

It's pan for pan.

nielsdolieslager

Postby nielsdolieslager » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:06 pm

Thanks! This means I need to set it for each sample though? :P

pljones

Postby pljones » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:44 pm

You need to learn about <group> :).

<group> lokey=0 hikey=64 pan=-45
<region> lovel=1 hivel=64 sample=soft_low_note.wav
<region> lovel=65 hivel=127 sample=hard_low_note.wav

<group> lokey=65 hikey=127 pan=45
<region> lovel=1 hivel=64 sample=soft_high_note.wav
<region> lovel=65 hivel=127 sample=hard_high_note.wav

That puts the low note regions on the left and the high note regions on the right. Getting the structure of your SFZ files efficient is fun.

nielsdolieslager

Postby nielsdolieslager » Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:44 am

Thanks! That works great!

I made a document with all settings per key, now I only need to copy each line into the SFZ files I have of this instrument :)

pljones

Postby pljones » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:26 am

Sforzando (ARIA engine) has a "#include somefile.extn" command that lets you include one file in another (as if the file's text appeared in place of the #include). You might find it easier to use that, in case you need to change things around (rather than then having to go through the process of updating every file you added to).

Return to “SFZ Programming”