Setting initial CC values

Discussion on the SFZ implementation and opcodes available in the ARIA engine.

Moderators: eric_telemaque, davidv

pljones

Setting initial CC values

Postby pljones » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:43 pm

A little weird this one. When I load up a mapping, I'd like to have the "default" value of a continuous controller be "known" - and controllable. Currently, they appear to default to zero.

For volume and pan, setting of volume_cc<n> and pan_cc<n> gets reflected back into the UI displayed values for CC<n> and the player reacts accordingly.

However, <v> in set_cc<n>=<v> doesn't actually seem to do anything. So I don't seem to have a way to set the current player values for other declared controls.

v1.911 of Sforzando and ARIA Engine.

davidv
Site Admin

Re: Setting initial CC values

Postby davidv » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:11 am

pljones wrote:A little weird this one. When I load up a mapping, I'd like to have the "default" value of a continuous controller be "known" - and controllable. Currently, they appear to default to zero.

For volume and pan, setting of volume_cc<n> and pan_cc<n> gets reflected back into the UI displayed values for CC<n> and the player reacts accordingly.

However, <v> in set_cc<n>=<v> doesn't actually seem to do anything. So I don't seem to have a way to set the current player values for other declared controls.

v1.911 of Sforzando and ARIA Engine.

Could you try adding label_cc<n>=something for those ccs?
David Viens,
Plogue Art et Technologie Inc. Montreal.
http://www.plogue.com

pljones

Postby pljones » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:38 pm

I have the label_cc<n>. The label value shows as expected but the value is always zero, regardless of the set_cc<n>.

Code: Select all

// ------------------------------------------------------------------
// Standard CCs
#define $MOD 001
#define $FC 004
#define $VOL 007
#define $PAN 010

<control>
  set_cc$MOD=000  label_cc$MOD=Mod Whl    (cc$MOD)
  set_cc$FC=64    label_cc$FC=Foot Ctrler (cc$FC)
  set_cc$VOL=127  label_cc$VOL=Kit VOL    (cc$VOL)
  set_cc$PAN=64   label_cc$PAN=Kit PAN    (cc$PAN)

<global>
 loop_mode=one_shot off_mode=normal
 volume_cc$VOL=0 pan_cc$PAN=0
 ampeg_release=.2

<region> sample=*sine

With the above, I get
Controls.PNG
Controls.PNG (16.49 KiB) Viewed 1218 times

I'd expect "Foot Ctrler" to be reading 50%.
Last edited by pljones on Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

davidv
Site Admin

Postby davidv » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:42 am

the other thing to look for is that if you have a default aria/ariax file, or use preset, then any value set in there will overwrite the sfz defaults.
David Viens,

pljones

Postby pljones » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:13 pm

I'm not sure what you mean by "a default aria/ariax file" or "preset" -- where would I look?

Also, added "<region> sample=*sine" to the example above and tried it standalone - that way, it works...

However... If I load up one .sfz file then switch to another .sfz file with different settings, the Foot Controller setting doesn't change. Nor, indeed, does the Volume... If I do "empty" between loads, the new values get picked up. If I could load more than one .sfz file at a time, that would feel like the right thing to do -- but Sforzando doesn't support that, so it feels like it should do "empty" between loads.

davidv
Site Admin

Postby davidv » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:36 am

If two instruments are loaded one after the other in a slot and both have the same label_cc/definition then the value will not be changed, this is made so user settings are kept while changing waveforms in say chipsounds, and other settings in big libraries like GPO.

In fact that logic is very complex and convoluted :)
David Viens,

pljones

Postby pljones » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:13 pm

OK... as I only use Sforzando as an ARIA Engine wrapper I'm not seeing how the other wrappers get something from this, of course. I can live with it -- it just seems very odd if you're not expecting it.

davidv
Site Admin

Postby davidv » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:29 pm

pljones wrote:OK... as I only use Sforzando as an ARIA Engine wrapper I'm not seeing how the other wrappers get something from this, of course. I can live with it -- it just seems very odd if you're not expecting it.

The issue of a global engine is that its hard to find the best generic case. I hear you.

Since sforzando now has a preset box if you want to make variants of sfz files (if only the cc values differ), you can use that instead.
David Viens,

Return to “SFZ Programming”