Crossfading betwwen layers of dynamics

Discussion on the SFZ implementation and opcodes available in the ARIA engine.

Moderators: eric_telemaque, davidv

oGatoulas

Crossfading betwwen layers of dynamics

Postby oGatoulas » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:09 am

This subject got my interest lately and I begun to looking for information and I have been testing various configurations. My goal is to build an ensemble string patch with the dynamics controlled by the modwheel. So here is my progress so far!

First, I create groups of each layer of dynamics and have them triggered simultaneously.

Then I add amp_veltrack=0 in order for the velocity to not have any effect on the amplitude of the sample.

In order to morph between the layers with the modwheel I utilize the xfin & xfout opcodes and decide where I want the samples to blend. So in my case I have 3 layers and I want them to crossfade at 2 middle points.

For the low dynamics group:
xfout_locc1=30
xfout_hicc1=50

for the medium dynamics group:
xfin_locc1=30
xfin_hicc1=50
xfout_locc1=70
xfout_hicc1=90

and for the high dynamics group:
xfin_locc1=70
xfin_hicc1=90

Now I can play the patch and indeed have the sound morph from low to high dynamics with the modwheel. However, I also need the volume to change.

So I use the opcode amplitude_oncc1=100.

And when I hit save on the text sforzando crashes. :lol: I am not sure but it might have something to do with opcodes amplitude and xf sharing cc1 because when I disable one of them it works fine.

It also works if I assign different CCs to the opcodes, ex. CC1 for xf and CC2 for amplitude. Can I somehow bind the modwheel to 2 CCs.

davidv
Site Admin

Re: Crossfading betwwen layers of dynamics

Postby davidv » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:51 am

Hi

Could you make a minimal SFZ file that crashes and send it to us?

We are aware of the issue (there is actually a limit that makes it impossible to use xfin_xxcc and amplitude_oncc on the same cc)
However it should not crash but say "Internal XFIN_CC clash on:1" with something like this:

Code: Select all

<region>
sample=*sine

xfin_locc1=0
xfin_hicc1=127

amplitude_oncc1=100

Which version of sforzando have you got?
Cheers
David Viens,
Plogue Art et Technologie Inc. Montreal.
http://www.plogue.com

oGatoulas

Postby oGatoulas » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:26 pm

Hi david, thank you for your reply. Here is my file. I changed the extension into txt in order to upload it.

I use v1.911 64bit.

If I use different CCs, can I control them both from the modulation wheel somehow?
Attachments
test2.txt
(242 Bytes) Downloaded 11 times

davidv
Site Admin

Postby davidv » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:19 pm

Ah sorry about this, seems like I've fixed this crash in 1.916
You can get the update of the ARIA engine itself (which will update the one in sforzando)
http://ariaengine.com/support/aria-engine-update/

Hum right now its not possible. You can experiment with volume_oncc1 combined with xfade though.
Just remember volume's maths are in dB and not linear.
David Viens,

oGatoulas

Postby oGatoulas » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:19 am

Thank you very much for your suggestions! Right now, I am using "volume" in the regions to fine tune the samples. If I add volume_oncc1, will this mess up with the region specified volume values?

Is this amplitude_oncc with xfade bug, something that the developing team plans to fix anytime soon?

davidv
Site Admin

Postby davidv » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:00 am

oGatoulas wrote:Thank you very much for your suggestions! Right now, I am using "volume" in the regions to fine tune the samples. If I add volume_oncc1, will this mess up with the region specified volume values?

volume_onccX=Y adds (or removes) to volume=Z it in dB values.

oGatoulas wrote:Is this amplitude_oncc with xfade bug, something that the developing team plans to fix anytime soon?

Not anytime soon, but its on the list.
Kind regards.
David Viens,

Return to “SFZ Programming”