Defender Presets

Post your chipsounds presets here

Moderators: eric_telemaque, davidv, seb@plogue

stoutlyric

Defender Presets

Postby stoutlyric » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:54 am

If you wanted to create some presets that were like defender, joust, robotron, what chip would get you there? These williams boards used dacs to produce their sound. They used a 1mhz 6800 microprocessor tied to an 8 bit dac.
Thanks

davidv
Site Admin

Re: Defender Presets

Postby davidv » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:20 pm

stoutlyric wrote:If you wanted to create some presets that were like defender, joust, robotron, what chip would get you there? These williams boards used dacs to produce their sound. They used a 1mhz 6800 microprocessor tied to an 8 bit dac.
Thanks

What they do is currently out of reach of my algos (its essentially a 8bit virtual synthesizer) , but its one area that I want to go into
(hint I do have a Robotron sound board in here)
David Viens,
Plogue Art et Technologie Inc. Montreal.
http://www.plogue.com

ZakB

Postby ZakB » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:04 pm

I would be very excited for a Williams sound board emulation as well :).

Those games have a really unique and startling sound to them.

One thing I read about the fellow who did the early game sounds (Defender, etc) is that they made a randomizer for the parameters on the sound chip, and that's how they made many of the more 'crazy' sounds for those games. I think that would be a great feature for both a Williams chip but also for the other chips in the Chipsounds collection :)

The other somewhat related idea I had would be the ability to enter your own sound equations into the Music Forumulas custom waveforms; I think you'd be able to make some very compelling sounds this way.

Best-
Zak

davidv
Site Admin

Postby davidv » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:33 pm

ZakB wrote:I would be very excited for a Williams sound board emulation as well :).

Those games have a really unique and startling sound to them.

One thing I read about the fellow who did the early game sounds (Defender, etc) is that they made a randomizer for the parameters on the sound chip, and that's how they made many of the more 'crazy' sounds for those games. I think that would be a great feature for both a Williams chip but also for the other chips in the Chipsounds collection :)

The other somewhat related idea I had would be the ability to enter your own sound equations into the Music Forumulas custom waveforms; I think you'd be able to make some very compelling sounds this way.

Best-
Zak

Adding your own formulas would need custom code to interpret code on the fly, which would be pretty involved for a few users.

The robotron/defender sounds however, are higher on my list.
CHeers
David Viens,

Plogue Art et Technologie Inc. Montreal.

http://www.plogue.com

Return to “chipsounds Presets”