SEGA Genesis sounds?

Post your feature requests/wishlist here

Moderators: eric_telemaque, davidv, seb@plogue

Zephyr

SEGA Genesis sounds?

Postby Zephyr » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:44 pm

I was really impressed when I saw this! I'm a big fan of chiptunes, but I have a Mac. Now I can painlessly make 'em ;)

I was wondering though, do you think that we're ever gonna see YM2612 emulation from the SEGA Genesis? I absolutely adore the way the Genesis music sounded and it just doesn't get enough love XD

Thanks!

davidv
Site Admin

Re: SEGA Genesis sounds?

Postby davidv » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:09 am

Hi thanks

We are of course investigating future possibilities for chipsounds.
I would prefer to disclose what and when in due time.

But as a console hoarder i have all oh them chips... if i dont its a question of time :)
David Viens,
Plogue Art et Technologie Inc. Montreal.
http://www.plogue.com

cuckoo

Postby cuckoo » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:33 am

Zephyr wrote:I was really impressed when I saw this! I'm a big fan of chiptunes, but I have a Mac. Now I can painlessly make 'em ;)

I was wondering though, do you think that we're ever gonna see YM2612 emulation from the SEGA Genesis? I absolutely adore the way the Genesis music sounded and it just doesn't get enough love XD

Thanks!

If this was a poll, I'd have clicked my interest in the Sega Megadrive/ Genesis chip. The two dearest sound chips for me are the ones in NES and MegaDrive.

cuckoo

Postby cuckoo » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:14 am

I think it's the FM synthesis of the MegaDrive that I love. :)

Anathema

Postby Anathema » Mon May 03, 2010 10:38 am

cuckoo wrote:
Zephyr wrote:I was really impressed when I saw this! I'm a big fan of chiptunes, but I have a Mac. Now I can painlessly make 'em ;)

Thanks!

If this was a poll, I'd have clicked my interest in the Sega Megadrive/ Genesis chip. The two dearest sound chips for me are the ones in NES and MegaDrive.

I completely agree, I grew up on those two consoles. I also have yet to see anyone circuit bent or emulate the sound.
If anyone has any access or knowledge to any of those things I'd appreciate a PM. :D

davidv
Site Admin

Postby davidv » Mon May 03, 2010 12:02 pm

Hi

The genesis's ym2612 is unique, but still very close to other 4op FM chips by yamaha,
So in contrast to chipsounds, there is plenty of other plugins emulating this aroumd.

Not to say that i wont do it eventually :)
David Viens,

herr_prof

Postby herr_prof » Wed May 26, 2010 3:29 pm

VOPM plus the sn emu in chipsounds makes a really nice sega-ish pair.

cuckoo

Postby cuckoo » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:09 am

davidv wrote:Hi

The genesis's ym2612 is unique, but still very close to other 4op FM chips by yamaha,
So in contrast to chipsounds, there is plenty of other plugins emulating this aroumd.

I agree..
Actually, I've got a Nord Modular G2. Most of the Megadrive feel is possible to recreate there with some pretty basic FM methods. It's somewhat different, clearly bearing the mark of the Nord, but still very nice! By the way, if one is trying to generate chipsounds sound-alike on a digi-hardware synthesizer, the G2 is a great place to start. I even created a wave-table-synthesizer :) But the Chipsounds-plugin is the real deal ;)

jonah

Postby jonah » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:11 pm

I use adlib tracker II and dosbox to get some nice genesis style sounds, but it's not the same. Still the price is right!

A Sega genesis emulation in Chipsounds is something I would definitely be interested in.

Shy

Postby Shy » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:27 am

davidv wrote:Hi

Not to say that i wont do it eventually :)

Hi, David. I have to say that the only software synth that really sounds pretty decent to me for emulating the YM2612 sound is the one by Steve Snake, in his Fusion emulator. Too bad that it's not available as a plugin or standalone synth at all. Here are just a few examples of this emulation (excerpts from Contra: Hard Corps).
It doesn't sound as good as the real thing, but it's the closest and sounds very nice. and I'd love a synth plugin that sounds at least as good.

davidv
Site Admin

Postby davidv » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:15 am

Nice soundtrack. a lot to live up to as far as emulation goes , FM is pretty hard to get 100% right. Lots of work ahead
David Viens,

Absurdist_Lover

Postby Absurdist_Lover » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:37 pm

IIRC, I think the Megadrive sound is really affected by the fact that instead of being summed, the 6 or however many channels are each cycled through in quick succession. This gives it a really dirty and artificial sound which is actually the first thing I remember about the Megadrive when I saw it as a kid. It just sounded WRONG (like they violated some laws of physics to make the sound) and that's what's awesome about it :D

That's also why it's hard to get the MD sound with plugins or normal FM synths.

I think there's a YM2612 emulator doing the rounds somewhere (I remember seeing it posted at KVR). Dono how good it is.

davidv
Site Admin

Postby davidv » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:25 am

Absurdist_Lover wrote:IIRC, I think the Megadrive sound is really affected by the fact that instead of being summed, the 6 or however many channels are each cycled through in quick succession.

This is called multiplexing, and the YM2413 does that as well. On top of that the YM2612 (genesis)'s dac is 9 or so bits, which gives it a crunchier edge than the YM2151's 10.3 float dac.

sorry about the geek talk :)
David Viens,

Absurdist_Lover

Postby Absurdist_Lover » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:03 pm

So, out of idle curiosity, does anyone know how the multiplexing happens? Is it always a fixed time that each of the 6 channels gets to output sound, or is the switching done 'smartly' according to zero-crossings or the wavelength of the output wave or something? If it were a fixed time switching, surely notes near the switching frequency would sound radically different to notes that clash with it, which would sound kinda ring modulated (or more likely amplitude modulated) or in street terms, screwed up :mrgreen:

Either way if the chip appears in Chipsounds I'm sure you'll get a striking resemblance as usual :)

davidv
Site Admin

Postby davidv » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:54 am

Speaking for the 2413 since thats what im working on, the chip only treats one " slot at a time, (18 total since there are 9 modulators and 9 carriers)
so it goes mod0, mod1, mod2, car0,car1,car2 ... (etc)

output samples will thus be ___012___345___678 at a VERY HIGH samplerate. Its hard to imagine, but at that high frequency, theres no need for zero crossings as the 'transients' between channels will be filtered out by the analog output of the YM2413-using circuitry. look here:

most emulators just add all carriers at output sample rate... But i do it at the native samplerate (including adding silences for modulators) and downsample to the host sample rate...

That may be a really bad explanation, and oversimplified, but there you go
David Viens,

Return to “chipsounds Feature Requests”