Famicom expansion chips

Post your feature requests/wishlist here

Moderators: eric_telemaque, davidv, seb@plogue

Tansunn

Famicom expansion chips

Postby Tansunn » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:43 pm

Any chance we'll be seeing any of the Famicom expansion chips integrated into Chipsounds?

My personal favorite is Konami's VRC6 chip which adds two pulse waves with different pulse widths (6.25% to 50% in 6.25% increments) and a saw wave. (Yeah, you can get close by selecting a SID chip, but it's still not quite right, you know?)

The Famicom Disk System also has an interesting sound chip, working similarly to the Game Boy's Wave channel with more definition (64 samples with 64 possible values, compared to the Game Boy's 32 samples with 16 possible values).

The Namco106 is similar as well, with waveforms from 4 to 32 samples long in 4 sample increments, with 16 possible values for each. It and the FDS both have 16 volume levels, though, compared to just 4 on the Game Boy's wave channel (which is another feature that would be nice to see, since Chipsounds currently only supports full volume).

There are a few other expansion chips, but some of them (MMC5 and FME7) seem to simply add more square wave channels with only minor varations, and Konami's VRC7 is FM synth.

davidv
Site Admin

Re: Famicom expansion chips

Postby davidv » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:11 pm

Hi

Very good chances, yes since I acquired a copy of most of those (part for the the FDS).

Tansunn wrote:Any chance we'll be seeing any of the Famicom expansion chips integrated into Chipsounds?

The Famicom Disk System also has an interesting sound chip, working similarly to the Game Boy's Wave channel with more definition (64 samples with 64 possible values, compared to the Game Boy's 32 samples with 16 possible values).

And primitive FM

Ah yes, so much chips to go through.
However, in the mean time, they were just integrated into famitracker. So yes, not the same thing as VSTi plugin, but these guys know their stuff.
David Viens,
Plogue Art et Technologie Inc. Montreal.
http://www.plogue.com

Tansunn

Re: Famicom expansion chips

Postby Tansunn » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:53 pm

Oh cool, I didn't know about the FM capabilities of the FDS. Most of what I picked up was from MML code and I've only seen the basic waveform generation for the FDS, not the FM.

I'll definitely keep an eye out for future updates or expansion packs or however you plan to release the new chips.

Return to “chipsounds Feature Requests”