My opinion on the ringmod/sync control dilemma in SID emu.

Post your feature requests/wishlist here

Moderators: eric_telemaque, davidv, seb@plogue

Absurdist_Lover

My opinion on the ringmod/sync control dilemma in SID emu.

Postby Absurdist_Lover » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:38 am

I don't know how much this has been thought about, but I understand there is a slight dilemma regarding the way synch and ringmod works on the SID and how it doesn't fit the model of Chipsounds. I'd like to vouch for the idea that each voice simply has controls for setting an arbitrary synch/ringmod frequency, and in the case of ringmod, presumably a 'secondary waveform selector' (I'm fairly sure SID ringmod is dependant on the modulating osc shape, unlike synch which just takes it's frequency). So in a way each voice now has two oscillators, though the secondary osc would probably be switched out most of the time when not in use.

This is straying from the way things work on the SID, but given that Chipsounds is mainly a tool for making new music, and not one for playing existing music, I don't think it matters a great deal, and if we really wanted the frequency to be tracking other audible notes, it could be done with midi CC's and a bit of creativity.

That's my take on the matter, anyway, I don't know what other people think.

[Edit - another alternative would be to take the frequencies from another midi channel, perhaps?]

As a side note, I read somewhere that C64 ringmodulation isn't actually a multiplication of two waveforms, but rather some weird waveshaping or something. Information is pretty vague on the subject and there's a lot of misinfo. out there, but whatever it is, it's a freaking cool effect :)

davidv
Site Admin

Re: My opinion on the ringmod/sync control dilemma in SID emu.

Postby davidv » Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:46 pm

indeed this is really the reason why it hasnt been implemented in 1.0

I do have a prototype "full emu" that does ring mod and hardsync using the round robin 1->2 2->3 and 3->1 method.
As you've correctly guessed its still unclear on whats the best way to present it to the user.

I am in favor of a power user mode where 3 midi channels would be available to the user to drive the 3 oscs any way they see fit, plus a layer of "intelligent router" that does musicans-dont-want-to-think logic on top of the emu, (as well as legacy chipsounds 1.501 compatibility)...

all that is not set in stone, and yes inputs from many is MORE than welcome here.

Similar challenges with the AY-3-8910 emu:
http://ploguechipsounds.blogspot.com/20 ... otype.html
David Viens,
Plogue Art et Technologie Inc. Montreal.
http://www.plogue.com

Return to “chipsounds Feature Requests”