Will there still be a Linux version?

Post your feature requests/wishlist here

Moderators: eric_telemaque, davidv, seb@plogue

jharkey

Will there still be a Linux version?

Postby jharkey » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:19 pm

Hello everyone. This is my first post. I hope I have the correct forum for this. I've been searching for information about a Linux version of Chipsounds. Please forgive me if this has already been answered but my search turned up nothing. I know that Chipsounds uses the Aria Engine, and some people have had success working with that under WINE, but wasn't there a press release quite a while ago talking about a native Linux version of Aria/Chipsounds? I was wondering what the status of that is or if it's even still in development. I still use my Aria stuff under Windows but if it could be used reliably under Linux I'd be very happy. I own the Garittan GPO and JABB libraries already but would love to purchase Chipsounds too. But it's something that I don't really want to do unless it's native in Linux as I'm in the process of weening off Windows.

Thanks in advance.

davidv
Site Admin

Re: Will there still be a Linux version?

Postby davidv » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:56 pm

Hi

I dont want to raise your hopes up for the near future. "linux" being what it is (a million distros and factions), is hard for any commercial software companies to target enough people. Chipsounds 1.501 however is really more WINE friendly than was any previous versions. As you can see from this vmachine clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yjjvfsQ0Ec

Vmachine being a 1Ghz/512MB ram linux/wine setup, it kind of proves wine suffers from its own success :)
David Viens,
Plogue Art et Technologie Inc. Montreal.
http://www.plogue.com

jharkey

Postby jharkey » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:20 pm

Wow, thanks for that link. That is really cool. I didn't realize it worked that well under WINE. Indeed, if WINE was terrible more ports would need to be done. As a developer myself, cross-distro Linux development isn't as hard as it is made out to be. I get what you mean though, and you're probably correct about it not being worth it due to the relatively small amount of end users they would gain.

I only asked because I read this a while back that says there will be one:
http://www.plogue.com/?page_id=115

I couldn't remember where I had read it but it's mentioned on that page.

EDIT: After reading some of your other posts it seems that you are one of the developers. Is that correct? If so, thank you for the wonderful products and actually taking the time to talk to your customers.

davidv
Site Admin

Postby davidv » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:13 am

Hi

It would be fun to do a full port, of course the dsp side is a joke, its just the UI toolkit which is problematic.
We are using a heavily modded VSTGUI and we would need to port that to QT/TK/X whatetver, and do lots of testing.
As with everything its the remaining 5% of the platform specific layer thats demanding.

jharkey wrote:EDIT: After reading some of your other posts it seems that you are one of the developers. Is that correct? If so, thank you for the wonderful products and actually taking the time to talk to your customers.

One of the developers of chipsounds would be an understatement as its been my night and day baby for more than 3 years. :)
But Thanks!
David Viens,

jharkey

Postby jharkey » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:07 am

Thanks for all of the info. I think I'll have to just break down and keep using Windows for my music applications. I need Chipsounds. It's such a wonderful thing. I grew up in the 80s as a Nintendo kid so being able to make music that sounds authentic is a dream come true. Thanks again for all of the hard work!

jharkey

Postby jharkey » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:34 am

One more question. Is using Chipsounds and other Aria based products under WINE allowed by you and whoever else is involved? Or does it break the licensing agreement? I'm a developer too and I respect what other developers consider fair use for their software. I'm guessing you're ok with it since you provided that link, but I just want to be sure.

davidv
Site Admin

Postby davidv » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:42 pm

jharkey wrote:One more question. Is using Chipsounds and other Aria based products under WINE allowed by you and whoever else is involved? Or does it break the licensing agreement? I'm a developer too and I respect what other developers consider fair use for their software. I'm guessing you're ok with it since you provided that link, but I just want to be sure.

Hi other ARIA products have been tried under Wine with various degrees of success. ARIA Player v1.111 should run fine now. Nothing breaks a license by using it under wine, its just officially unsupported.
David Viens,

Return to “chipsounds Feature Requests”