CC/Automation Controls for Pitch Bend Range

Post your feature requests/wishlist here

Moderators: eric_telemaque, davidv, seb@plogue

saskrotch

CC/Automation Controls for Pitch Bend Range

Postby saskrotch » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:27 pm

Okay, so when using the unlimited versions of chips, I like to do smooth pitch bends, so right now my options are: Set pitch bend to the max amount of semitones and use a calculator to figure out where the pitch wheel should be for each slide (I use ableton, and for the midi pitch envelopes, it's just 0-8191), or have multiple instances of each instrument set to different bend values and automate them on and off and send the audio to a single channel. I've tried automating the portamento time, but that only effects the portamento on the first instrument, and i like to layer my chips up. Also tried using the wave sequencer, but that only seems to change pitch by semi-tones, and I'm looking for a smooth glide.

Also, I guess I should ask, in the automatable settings in ableton, there's the controls that are labeled with CC values in the manual, and then around a hundred other settings labeled "pXXX". Are these simply blank controls, or are they un-labeled / actually control something? If it's the latter, is there a list or map of what each one controls? I've fiddled with a few of them while notes are playing but can't discern what they do (they could be controlling a chip specific setting for something I'm not using for all I know).

I guess another possible option/request would be a legato setting for single polyphony instruments, if the pitch bend automation wasn't possible. A legato option would be great for things like PWM, since even at single polyphony, starting a new note while another is playing resets the PWM wave. And it would be great for basically anything that with envelope settings and isn't a standard on/off synth sound.

davidv
Site Admin

Re: CC/Automation Controls for Pitch Bend Range

Postby davidv » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:49 pm

saskrotch wrote:Okay, so when using the unlimited versions of chips, I like to do smooth pitch bends, so right now my options are: Set pitch bend to the max amount of semitones and use a calculator to figure out where the pitch wheel should be for each slide (I use ableton, and for the midi pitch envelopes, it's just 0-8191), or have multiple instances of each instrument set to different bend values and automate them on and off and send the audio to a single channel. I've tried automating the portamento time, but that only effects the portamento on the first instrument, and i like to layer my chips up. Also tried using the wave sequencer, but that only seems to change pitch by semi-tones, and I'm looking for a smooth glide.

While its not exaclty what you request, if you dont use the wave sequencer, you can also use hidden CC12 (which its the only one to use to to pitch changes).
Its fixed to [-2400:2400]... by using both CC12 and pitchbend as well, you should have all the range you need or you could set pitch bend to be fine and CC12 to be coarse.

saskrotch wrote:Also, I guess I should ask, in the automatable settings in ableton, there's the controls that are labeled with CC values in the manual, and then around a hundred other settings labeled "pXXX". Are these simply blank controls, or are they un-labeled / actually control something? If it's the latter, is there a list or map of what each one controls? I've fiddled with a few of them while notes are playing but can't discern what they do (they could be controlling a chip specific setting for something I'm not using for all I know).

pXXX controls are all not doing anything yet, the exception is p012 which is internally mapped to CC12.

saskrotch wrote:I guess another possible option/request would be a legato setting for single polyphony instruments, if the pitch bend automation wasn't possible. A legato option would be great for things like PWM, since even at single polyphony, starting a new note while another is playing resets the PWM wave. And it would be great for basically anything that with envelope settings and isn't a standard on/off synth sound.

I didnt take any coffee yet, but isnt Snapshot "PD Polymento" doing that?
David Viens,
Plogue Art et Technologie Inc. Montreal.
http://www.plogue.com

saskrotch

Re: CC/Automation Controls for Pitch Bend Range

Postby saskrotch » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:16 pm

Awesome, I'll start experimenting with CC12/P012. By 2400, do you mean 2400 cents/24 semi-tones/2 octaves? This still might be hard to do since the values go from 0.00-1.00 (.50=no pitch change), but i'll give it a shot.

As for the PD Polymento, I hadn't tried it (I prefer to start from scratch instead of using presets), but now that I've checked it out, it's not what I was talking about. If you take all the reverb / release off, when you start a new note, it plays from the beginning of the PWM. What I meant was something like a legato setting that basically picks up where the last one left off in terms of pulse width, amp settings etc. I'm probably not explaining this very well.

Return to “chipsounds Feature Requests”