WaveSequencer keyboard shortcuts + WaveSequencer Sequencer

Post your feature requests/wishlist here

Moderators: eric_telemaque, davidv, seb@plogue

jonah

WaveSequencer keyboard shortcuts + WaveSequencer Sequencer

Postby jonah » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:28 pm

I've been totally nerding out with the wave sequencer and I understand it's not feasible to add MIDI controls, especially in the plug in, but I was wondering about a keyboard based interface for the standalone version? I'm not that old, but all that mouse clicking is no good for my joints.

I was thinking shift + arrow keys for insert, insert after, duplicate and delete and tab to switch columns with the edit field being active right away. The actual controls don't matter so much as being able to edit closer to the speed of thought. :) Makes it feel much more musical.

I've also been stacking wavesequences using the upper register of the keyboard to trigger sequences of automation and I was thinking a dedicated section in Chipsounds could potentially be useful. Another MIDI preprocessor that when it gets any note on will send out a note 127-116. Then you could set keymap of your wave sequences to respond to these triggers.

I dunno though, I could just build something that does that in Logic's environment or Bidule pretty easily. :lol:

Anyway back to exploring chip sounds! There is so much (potential) life in these waveforms. You can get more movement and variety than many analog synths. It's a really impressive job! :D

davidv
Site Admin

Re: WaveSequencer keyboard shortcuts + WaveSequencer Sequenc

Postby davidv » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:07 am

jonah wrote:I've been totally nerding out with the wave sequencer and I understand it's not feasible to add MIDI controls, especially in the plug in, but I was wondering about a keyboard based interface for the standalone version? I'm not that old, but all that mouse clicking is no good for my joints.

Tell me about it, i have a heavy case of RSI from clicking myself (not the wave seq mind you), so i hear you.

jonah wrote:I've also been stacking wavesequences using the upper register of the keyboard to trigger sequences of automation and I was thinking a dedicated section in Chipsounds could potentially be useful. Another MIDI preprocessor that when it gets any note on will send out a note 127-116. Then you could set keymap of your wave sequences to respond to these triggers.

Im not sure i follow, do you mean on top of the current "Key Map/Seq+- logic"?

jonah wrote:Anyway back to exploring chip sounds! There is so much (potential) life in these waveforms. You can get more movement and variety than many analog synths. It's a really impressive job! :D

Thanks!
David Viens,
Plogue Art et Technologie Inc. Montreal.
http://www.plogue.com

jonah

Postby jonah » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:49 am

davidv wrote:
jonah wrote:I've also been stacking wavesequences using the upper register of the keyboard to trigger sequences of automation and I was thinking a dedicated section in Chipsounds could potentially be useful. Another MIDI preprocessor that when it gets any note on will send out a note 127-116. Then you could set keymap of your wave sequences to respond to these triggers.

Im not sure i follow, do you mean on top of the current "Key Map/Seq+- logic"?

I took some time to think about this! :wink:

One way I use the wave sequencer is to trigger special effects by key mapping to the range to notes generally too high to be "useable". Then, I can play on a keyboard normally, but also trigger sequences. For example, I can use Live's clips to send notes that will trigger wave sequences and send other clips at the same time to trigger "regular notes" or in Logic I route a second MIDI track to Chipsounds track that triggers the wave sequences. Using one track to sequence both traditional notes ons and wave sequences gets hard to manage.

This gets even cooler when you combine the 8 layers with different wave sequences and Key Maps! (I like to use the wave sequences to sequence Key Switching, but manage the notes myself, or to sequence CC automation because it's easier to keep track of than in a DAW) But it also gets much more complicated to setup, beyond the different Key Map ranges for each of the layers, you have to setup and manage all of these external tracks that are triggering the wave sequencer on top of any "normal" notes you are sending!

I was thinking a MIDI processor, that that you could MIDI toggle on or off, that would generate additional notes on values and pass them through in parallel to the wave sequencer. Then you could have play regular notes that could also trigger the wave sequencer on top of that and a simple toggle on or off controls it.

Maybe it's too esoteric, and admittedly it is a job for Bidule, which is what I use most of the time to do this when I don't feel like managing multiple sequences in my host! :D

el_camello

Postby el_camello » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:22 pm

Keyboard shortcuts would be great.

Return to “chipsounds Feature Requests”