Portamento and monophonic behaviour

Post your feature requests/wishlist here

Moderators: eric_telemaque, davidv, seb@plogue

Shinsakuto

Portamento and monophonic behaviour

Postby Shinsakuto » Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:31 am

Dear Plogue,

I recently acquired Chipsounds and I really love it.
One thing that really bothered me at first was the Portamento option. I now just turn it on and off with automations all the time and got
accustomed to it, but when I read the manual one of the points you made over your own product were "easy to use" and "for playing live".
And here I see big problem in playability.
To understand why portamento and monophonic behaviour go hand in hand let me start from the beginning:
1. We are in monophonic mode (1 voice)
2. You hold first note down - first note plays
3. You hold second note down - second note plays
4. You let go of second note - ????

So what Chipsound does is nothing. Normally i would expect it to play the first note again since im still holding that one down.
Secondly the transition between notes that are played "overlappingly" could be legato or not. Maybe you would want the legato only when releasing the second note since you are not "hitting" the note again and a new Attack-Decay spike would feel odd.
From other VST's i have used in the past often portamento is only available in monophonic modes because they do it like this:
1. Hold down first note - first note plays
2. Hold down second note - Portamento from current frequency towards the second note with the dedicated portamento speed.
3. Let go of second note - Portamento from current frequency back towards first note with dedicated portamento speed.

You see i said "current frequency" because at any time you could be at any point between notes when starting a new portamento.
Also notice that in this portamento behaviour it does NOT play a portamento if any note is played alone. Only if one note is played while another is still active, or was at the time it was triggered (The same for releasing a note). Probably you would not want a portamento on releasing a note and only on hitting a note while another one is still active. Thats preference I guess. But this would allow for LIVE playing of portamentos at any given time within a melody with any given steps of semitones. Only the Portamento time would still be fixed. Further you can use portamento in DAW's without the need for automations. Perhaps you automate the time later but laying down a melody would be soooo much easier !( and yes , Tracker would need 2 channels for this unfortunately ).

I hope you take this into consideration as I think I am not the only one who was confused by the strange portamento option that you have so far and is undoubtedly absolutely unusable for live performances (just like the pitch wheel).
Further I feel that an improvement to the playability and intuitiveness to Chipsounds would amplify the astonishing amount of chiplove you can already create with this program.
Some Kontakt 5 synths have exactly these options ( Solo - (legato) - glide - chords ). I would have made you an example video but I can't get a program to record my ASIO output and you can get a demo version of it for free.

Have a nice day and keep up the good work !

Warm regards from germany, Aaron Amadues.

eric_telemaque

Re: Portamento and monophonic behaviour

Postby eric_telemaque » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:18 am

Hi Aaron,

We are well aware of the mono/legato behavior with chipsounds. It's already a given that this will be revamped for chipsynth and much more like you'd expect. And since we're working so hard on those new synths, no further or addition will be made to chipsounds.
Be sure upgrade paths will be provided.

Cheers!
Éric Patenaude,
Plogue Art et Technologie Inc. Montreal.
http://www.plogue.com

Shinsakuto

Re: Portamento and monophonic behaviour

Postby Shinsakuto » Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:23 pm

That sucks.

Return to “chipsounds Feature Requests”