Note velocity change triggers keyswitch problem (Logic)

Post your bug reports/problems here

Moderators: eric_telemaque, davidv, seb@plogue

mc_deli

Note velocity change triggers keyswitch problem (Logic)

Postby mc_deli » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:53 pm

With Logic 10.3.1, if I drag note velocities in the piano editor, it changes the keyswitch.

I can't find where/why this is happening. It's really frustrating as I am constantly having to re-select the previous Chipsounds preset.

What am I missing here? Are the keyswitches designed to be triggered by note velocity, is there a hidden setting for this?

eric_telemaque

Re: Note velocity change triggers keyswitch problem (Logic)

Postby eric_telemaque » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:13 pm

Hi,

Trying to replicate the issue here quickly doesn't yield the result.
But it looks to me like the dragging motion with the mouse triggers the lowest notes on the Piano roll, where the keyswitches are located.
Have you tried using the velocity slider on the left, if it does the same thing?

Cheers
Éric Patenaude,
Plogue Art et Technologie Inc. Montreal.
http://www.plogue.com

mc_deli

Postby mc_deli » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:26 am

mc_deli wrote:With Logic 10.3.1, if I drag note velocities in the piano editor, it changes the keyswitch.

I can't find where/why this is happening. It's really frustrating as I am constantly having to re-select the previous Chipsounds preset.

What am I missing here? Are the keyswitches designed to be triggered by note velocity, is there a hidden setting for this?

Hi, thanks for the reply. The velocity slider does not produce the same behaviour. I tested some more.

EDIT: If I Apple/CTRL drag a note then the velocity slider and note velocity mark move and it does not trigger the behaviour. This isn't a workaround though as when I want to draw multiple note velocities together I have to click drag in the controller window and that causes the behaviour.

The behaviour does not happen consistently with all notes or at all velocities.

The only thing that is consistent is that it is G-2 that gets triggered. Once G-2 is triggered, dragging note velocities does not cause a subsequent trigger.

Can you give any advice on how I could trace this (I have looked at midi monitor, event list, Logic settings, Chipsounds settings... I see nothing useful)?

eric_telemaque

Postby eric_telemaque » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:44 am

Well, mc_deli, It looks like you've found a bug in Logic Pro X 10.3.1.

Moving the velocity handles somehow triggers MIDI note G0 (or G-2 depending on the naming scheme used), which is out of the musical range, but right where the keyswitches are located. This is definitely coming from Logic 10.3.1 and it would be the same, no matter which plug-in is used.

I tried yesterday with 10.3.0 and it didn't behave that way. I tried with an older version (10.2.2) this morning and it works fine as well. I used Bidule AU to monitor the incoming MIDI stream in real time. This is what the screenshot shows.
Éric Patenaude,

mc_deli

Postby mc_deli » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:59 pm

eric_telemaque wrote:Well, mc_deli, It looks like you've found a bug in Logic Pro X 10.3.1.

Moving the velocity handles somehow triggers MIDI note G0 (or G-2 depending on the naming scheme used), which is out of the musical range, but right where the keyswitches are located. This is definitely coming from Logic 10.3.1 and it would be the same, no matter which plug-in is used.

I tried yesterday with 10.3.0 and it didn't behave that way. I tried with an older version (10.2.2) this morning and it works fine as well. I used Bidule AU to monitor the incoming MIDI stream in real time. This is what the screenshot shows.

Thanks for checking this. Seems really weird. And double weird if this hasn't come up before. I've posted on Logic Pro Help to see if this can be confirmed by the wizards there.

eric_telemaque

Postby eric_telemaque » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:34 pm

mc_deli wrote:Thanks for checking this. Seems really weird. And double weird if this hasn't come up before. I've posted on Logic Pro Help to see if this can be confirmed by the wizards there.

No prob. I'll be checking what's going on over there as well, I'm really curious of what others will find out.
Éric Patenaude,

mc_deli

Postby mc_deli » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:17 pm

eric_telemaque wrote:This is definitely coming from Logic 10.3.1 and it would be the same, no matter which plug-in is used.

Hi Eric, can you reproduce this behaviour with another software instrument inserted?

eric_telemaque

Postby eric_telemaque » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:38 am

mc_deli wrote:
eric_telemaque wrote:This is definitely coming from Logic 10.3.1 and it would be the same, no matter which plug-in is used.

Hi Eric, can you reproduce this behaviour with another software instrument inserted?

In my screenshot, it is Bidule AU as an instrument, using its MIDI Monitor to detect the incoming messages.
Éric Patenaude,

eric_telemaque

Postby eric_telemaque » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:43 am

I tried with Alchemy's Epic synth preset, and it plays an insanely low G-2 note.

EDIT
I just made a screencast displaying Logic's behavior using only Snoize MIDI monitor.
Éric Patenaude,

mc_deli

Postby mc_deli » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:17 pm

eric_telemaque wrote:I tried with Alchemy's Epic synth preset, and it plays an insanely low G-2 note.

EDIT
I just made a screencast displaying Logic's behavior using only Snoize MIDI monitor.

That seems conclusive. Thanks for that. Did you put to Apple feedback yet?

eric_telemaque

Postby eric_telemaque » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:36 am

mc_deli wrote:That seems conclusive. Thanks for that. Did you put to Apple feedback yet?

Not yet, hoped I could get confirmation from other sources. The guy over at LPH thinks it has to do with Control Surfaces. I'm not at the office on the weekend so I can't test that. Still seems strange to me.
Éric Patenaude,

mc_deli

Postby mc_deli » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:34 pm

eric_telemaque wrote:
mc_deli wrote:That seems conclusive. Thanks for that. Did you put to Apple feedback yet?

Not yet, hoped I could get confirmation from other sources. The guy over at LPH thinks it has to do with Control Surfaces. I'm not at the office on the weekend so I can't test that. Still seems strange to me.

Confirmed on LPH. We found a bug! :D :( :D :(

And back to 8 bit number crunch future funk flute fanfares!

Return to “chipsounds Bugs and Problems”