Amplitude EG parameters only in percentages?

Post your bug reports/problems here

Moderators: eric_telemaque, davidv, seb@plogue

gavinallenaudio

Amplitude EG parameters only in percentages?

Postby gavinallenaudio » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:04 pm

Hi there; to start, I'll say that I only have the demo version of chipsounds at this point, and I love it, but I wanted to ask about a certain functionality quirk before purchasing. In a screencap in the manual, it shows someone editing the ADSR for the amplitude EG and inputting times, in seconds. But when I use the demo version of the plugin, those ADSR parameters only show percentages, and times cannot be put in as values. Is this something that's changed in a patch that isn't included in the demo version? Is it a bug, perhaps relating to my configuration? (I'm running the plugin in Windows 7 64-bit, but this behavior was seen both in standalone app mode as well as when loaded as a VST plugin in Reaper). Or is this the current expected behavior and the manual shows something not in use anymore?

On a related matter, what are the limits for those ADSR values? In the demo version, when the sustain set to 0% and the decay set to 100%, the decay still seems to be relatively short (about 1 second, if I had to estimate). Is there a hard limit to how long decay and release can be? Is it related to the chip being emulated at the time? Is that something that can be overridden in the pref files?

Thanks in advance for any and all help answering these questions. Thank you!
-Gavin

davidv
Site Admin

Re: Amplitude EG parameters only in percentages?

Postby davidv » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:24 pm

the EG settings are in % since different chips (like the SID) have different possible lenghts and i wanted to keep the modulation
page the same for all chips. So no time there. The screenshot (which one exactly) might be from either a pre release or 1.0.

Ive set the limits to 'reasonable' values and only let you shoose to apply a from 0% to 100%. BUt you can surely change that
in programs/pre.sfz

BUT note that this will break all presets which assume default values!

ampeg_attack_oncc73=1
ampeg_decay_oncc75=1
ampeg_release_oncc72=2

(1 second for attack and decay, and 2 second for release)

Only two chips have EGs natively, the SID and the AY. The sid code overloads these 1,1,2 seconds value, while the
AY envelopes are much weirder and not currenlty fully implemented (they will in 2.0)
David Viens,
Plogue Art et Technologie Inc. Montreal.
http://www.plogue.com

gavinallenaudio

Postby gavinallenaudio » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:46 pm

Awesome, thanks for the reply David; that's exactly the explanation I was looking for! Cheers.

btw

Postby btw » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:37 am

I'm glad I found this post, as I've been wishing for wider ranges in ADR times for the amplitude EG in chips other than SID.

The SID EG is quirky, too... for instance, decay time does not have a linear relationship to the % setting. If I recall correctly (I don't have access to chipsounds at the moment), there's a big jump in decay time between 81% and 81.5% or something like that. This makes it impossible to program certain decay times in between! I suspect that fixing this would break existing presets/sessions, but I hope you can add a mode for more predictable/linear EG in a future release.

Thanks for the plugin; it's inspiring to work with these classic sounds!

davidv
Site Admin

Postby davidv » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:34 pm

Hi

We can't change the EG scaling since it would break all existing sessions out there.
As fas as the SID goes, to emulate it, it only has 16 decay/release stages/values as per its datasheet:

We are completely revisiting all this in chipsounds 2.0. its a completely different synth.
David Viens,

btw

Postby btw » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:57 pm

Ah, 16 steps, that makes sense: I was hearing the step from 3 to 9, which jumped out at me more than the smaller differences among lower values. I'm glad to learn you're taking a different approach to EG in chipsounds 2.0. It's wonderful to have faithful emulations of the chips, including all their limitations, but I know many users will appreciate the option of additional flexibility if you make it available.

Just curious, what's the approximate timeline for chipsounds 2.0? I know you have a lot on your plate... might it be released sometime in 2015? Thanks!

davidv
Site Admin

Postby davidv » Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:22 pm

btw wrote:Just curious, what's the approximate timeline for chipsounds 2.0? I know you have a lot on your plate... might it be released sometime in 2015? Thanks!

We hope it will be in 2015, if it is it will be near the end.
Thanks
David Viens,

Return to “chipsounds Bugs and Problems”