Scala "Center" and non-12-tone scales not working properly

Post your bug reports/problems here

Moderators: eric_telemaque, davidv, seb@plogue

redactionary

Scala "Center" and non-12-tone scales not working properly

Postby redactionary » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:47 am

1. Maybe this is user error, but I cannot figure out how to change the Center of a scala scale from C5 in chipsounds. There are no arrows to change the center and no selections pop up when I click in the box.

2. Another problem is that scales that are not based on 12 tones don't play properly in chipsounds. While playing a 13-tone scale D4 to D5 is all correct, but then the pitches are incorrect outside of that area. I loaded up a 9-tone scale and G4 to D#5 were the only pitches that were correct.

Thanks!

eric_telemaque

Re: Scala "Center" and non-12-tone scales not working proper

Postby eric_telemaque » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:29 pm

redactionary wrote:1. Maybe this is user error, but I cannot figure out how to change the Center of a scala scale from C5 in chipsounds. There are no arrows to change the center and no selections pop up when I click in the box.

That's a good catch. This is a bug that will be fixed in the next release. it's supposed to be a simple dropdown menu.

redactionary wrote:2. Another problem is that scales that are not based on 12 tones don't play properly in chipsounds. While playing a 13-tone scale D4 to D5 is all correct, but then the pitches are incorrect outside of that area. I loaded up a 9-tone scale and G4 to D#5 were the only pitches that were correct.

To extrapolate on what David said in this thread: http://www.plogue.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=7299, Scala support in chipsounds is derived form our work for ARIA and is intended for 12 tone scales only and that any change is rather unlikely. Adding to that the fact that many patches in chipsounds aren't equal-tempered to begin with wouldn't make predictable results.
Éric Patenaude,
Plogue Art et Technologie Inc. Montreal.
http://www.plogue.com

redactionary

Re: Scala "Center" and non-12-tone scales not working proper

Postby redactionary » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:45 pm

Cool, thanks!

Related question: Is there a way to change the Hz tuning to something other than the 11 options (International 440, European 442, etc.) in chipsounds? I know we can tune the instruments by cents, but it would be nice to be able to type in a Hz value.

Return to “chipsounds Bugs and Problems”