NES settings?

Post your chipcrusher presets here

Moderators: eric_telemaque, davidv, seb@plogue

Klopfenpop

NES settings?

Postby Klopfenpop » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:25 pm

I may just be missing it by not knowing quite what all the preset titles refer to, but how would I set the DAC Encoding to be as if my source had been loaded onto an NES cart and was being played via the sample channel of a 2a03?

Also, is there supposed to be a manual anywhere for Chipcrusher? The "online support" file in the download, goes to a page that only has links for Bidule and Chipsounds.

Klopfenpop

Re: NES settings?

Postby Klopfenpop » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:33 pm

So in reading through the product page, I foundthat the DPCM encoding is what was used in "The Big N's" 8-bit consoles, haha.

It also says Bits=6 and Parameter-1. Does anyone know what the other parameters (like resample rate, etc.) should be?

The only preset that is DPCM and 6-bit seems to be (forgive, but it's not in front ofme at the moment), I think it was called "DMC-f" or something? Is that the 2a03 preset? I tried it, but it doesn't quite sound like it.

I also tried running some 808 drums through the DMG preset (minus the enclosure processing) and it's doesn't sound like the 808 drums I sampled from my friends LSDJ cartridge. I think it might have to do with the input level of the source into the processor. Does anyone know what the standard db level was/is for loading samples onto an NES or DMG cartridge?

davidv
Site Admin

Postby davidv » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:42 am

LSDJ runs on a GameBoy not a NES, totally different sound. Unless you mean MIDINES, which has a few DMC samples, then in any case, it really depends on the input volume/ compression of the source samples.

The correct DAC encoding settings for 2A03 DMC are indeed DMC-0 (worse quality), DMC-7 (mid), DMC-F(best).
David Viens,
Plogue Art et Technologie Inc. Montreal.
http://www.plogue.com

Klopfenpop

Postby Klopfenpop » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:25 am

davidv wrote:LSDJ runs on a GameBoy not a NES, totally different sound. Unless you mean MIDINES, which has a few DMC samples, then in any case, it really depends on the input volume/ compression of the source samples.

Right. That's why I compared it to the DMG setting.

davidv wrote:The correct DAC encoding settings for 2A03 DMC are indeed DMC-0 (worse quality), DMC-7 (mid), DMC-F(best).

Ah. So those are examples of the range of results that could have been achieved depending on how the audio was processed, then?

davidv
Site Admin

Postby davidv » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:55 pm

Klopfenpop wrote:Ah. So those are examples of the range of results that could have been achieved depending on how the audio was processed, then?

Yes, i dont make these encodings up, its backed by hardware research and comparison :)
David Viens,

Klopfenpop

Postby Klopfenpop » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:41 pm

davidv wrote:
Klopfenpop wrote:Ah. So those are examples of the range of results that could have been achieved depending on how the audio was processed, then?

Yes, i dont make these encodings up, its backed by hardware research and comparison :)

But, of course! :)

Out ofcuriosity, do you happen to remember any examples of those three encodings? Like any games that have similar encodings to the three 2a03 presets? I'm mainly wondering so I can compare with a similar sample to see if I can figure out what sample volume level I'll want to use to achieve the most accurate sound.

On a side note, this plugin is fucking gorgeous. You have filled a long-standing gap with a truly singular piece of software. Keep doing what you and your team are doing, David. You are doing thing precisely how they should be done.

I just can't wait to see what you all cook up next! Haha!

davidv
Site Admin

Postby davidv » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:53 am

Klopfenpop wrote:Out ofcuriosity, do you happen to remember any examples of those three encodings? Like any games that have similar encodings to the three 2a03 presets? I'm mainly wondering so I can compare with a similar sample to see if I can figure out what sample volume level I'll want to use to achieve the most accurate sound.

Well thing is DMC samples in Nintendo games were usually custom made, so its not like they sampled 909's and similar.

A side note is that if you have chipsounds (or run the demo), there are also a few DMC drum sounds in 04.Drums/Joe Kit DMC and Jules Kit DMC
these our samples of ours though.

You could listen to the Ninja Gaiden 1 NES soundtrack for common uses of snares and bass drums.
sadly all youtube sound recordings sucks due to 1) youtube audio quality and 2)... emulator outputs.

Klopfenpop wrote:On a side note, this plugin is fucking gorgeous. You have filled a long-standing gap with a truly singular piece of software. Keep doing what you and your team are doing, David. You are doing thing precisely how they should be done.
I just can't wait to see what you all cook up next! Haha!

Theres so much on the table, in fact 3 other retro digital synths.
David Viens,

Return to “chipcrusher Presets”