Pro Tools AAX64 bit

Post your sforzando questions here

Moderators: eric_telemaque, davidv

justintime

Pro Tools AAX64 bit

Postby justintime » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:45 pm

For Garritan Personal Orchestra and Garritan Instant Orchestra I couldn't get Aria to work in Pro Tools 11 via Blue Cat Audio's VST plug in converter called Patchworks. At first it appeared to work, but Pro Tools 11 (Windows 7) would fatally crash within 5 minutes of use. I contacted Garritan and they suggested for me to try Sforzando.

I tried it and it appeared to work nicely at first, but then I found out it has serious bugs as a plug in. I use Pro Tools 11 on Windows 7. Here's what's happening.

Nice that Pro Tools doesn't fatally crash at all, but it might as well because I can't get any consistency. If I save a session and reopen, the sounds typically play back with pops, and weird sounds, seeming sounds from a totally different instrument sample! i think there's something wrong with the memory pointer or use on this plug in, I've tried every setting at max min, mid, settings because instructions and user guides aren't clear about what does what. Nothing works.

Sorry but I'm about to go back to using Aria, but not with Pro Tools, I'm going to have to use my back up DAW, Ableton Live to get it to work, and it does.

However, I'd rather use all my Garritan sounds in Pro Tools 11, not as an RTAS either, because I don't want to convert to another DAW later. I need it in a format I can open later in Pro Tools without having to reassign plug ins.

Bottom line, please fix the AAX Sforzando Player. It would be the solution to all this if it just worked, but again it just doesn't.

davidv
Site Admin

Re: Pro Tools AAX64 bit

Postby davidv » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:12 am

Hello

I just played and recalled a PT 11.2.1x25 (w7x64) session containing 5 sforzando instances with heavy MIDI notes and it played without a glitch.
That said I'm using the latest ARIA Engine (dev).

You could always have a go at the latest official release of the ARIA Engine (which does power sforzando)
http://ariaengine.com/support/aria-engine-update

And report how that went.
David Viens,
Plogue Art et Technologie Inc. Montreal.
http://www.plogue.com

justintime

Postby justintime » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:40 pm

Hey thanks for that David. I didn't get that even from Garritan. I'll definately try it, but I will say one thing I found. Yesterday I reinstalled Aria 1.6.2, the most recent one linked on Garritan's website, and also installed the latest version of Blue Cat Patchworks (1.5) just released. Now it's working using Patchworks (as a VST) in Pro Tools 11. At least I should say no crash yet, not like before.

I run one instance of Patchworks, in an Aux channel, then load up Aria into Patchworks, and run all the midi files to a separate channel of the Patchworks plug in to control it, and again so far no crash, at least not like prior. It seems when Aria is installed using the Instand Orchestra bundle, even though it's 1.6.2 I don't think something got installed correctly, so directly overwriting the installation seemed to fix it, coupled with Patchworks update.

Now about the new Aria engine you just linked. I'll try that because I'd rather just use a purely AAX 64 plug in in Sforzando Player. I'll try to remember to post again later to report how that works out, but now I'm somewhat relieved to at least be able to use Garritan using Patchworks / Aria Player (VST).

justintime

Postby justintime » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:40 pm

Unfortunately can't get Garritan to work in Pro Tools 11, no way, no matter what. Not with Patchworks 1.5 (Pro Tools 11 crashes), and not with Aira engine 1.7.1.9 (no crahes but see below).

Chromatic harp and other sounds are OK using Sforzando, but two that never work consistently are Garritan Personal Orchestra's Lush Cello and Lush Bass Mute. Those are two sounds that fit the song I'm working on perfectly but can't use them. Session Strings in Kontakt, just doesn't have the same sound as these so it doesn't fit.

Don't have time to mess with this in PT any more. I've never had any trouble with any other virtual instrument plug in using Pro Tools 11. I'm not wasting any more time with it. I've exported the MIDI to Ableton Live and will continue the song from there.

I've concluded, there is no solution for Garritan sounds for Pro Tools AAX 64 yet, doesn't matter if someone else says it works for them, it doesn't work for me, and again, never had a problem with any other VI using PT11.

davidv
Site Admin

Postby davidv » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:25 pm

We've reproduced a loading bug in PT11 under AAX, and fixed it:

I know you've moved along, but this might help others too:

PC FIX:
http://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/ariae ... Update.exe

MAC FIX
https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/aria ... Update.pkg

Sorry again for the headaches, it was a nasty one!
David Viens,

justintime

Postby justintime » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:27 pm

David

My visit to the forum today was the first time I've been back since my last post. I'll say why I visited below. I read your reply for the first time today. After reading it I downloaded the updated Aria engine 1.7.5.7 you have linked, and reinstalled Sforzando (the same Sforzando version 1.669 I had just uninstalled, which I discuss below). I'll give Sforzando another chance with the updated Aria engine. Thanks for looking into this and actually doing something about it.

However, for anyone interested, I'm also happy to report, so far it seems Blue Cat Audio has fixed the bug in their "Patchworks" plug in that made Aria Player crash when running it in Pro Tools 11 (via Patchworks). This was apparently a byproduct of fixing Kontakt (Native Instruments) running in Patchworks, which typically crashed Pro Tools when saving a session. That's typcially when Aria Player also crashed it when running in Patchworks (including when Pro Tools did an auto save). So far version 1.6 of Patchworks will run Aria Player and Garritan libraries without crashing Pro Tools 11, at least it hasn't crashed on me yet like previous vesions of Patchworks runing Aria Player have.

Now it seems Sforzando may also be fixed in Pro Tools 11 due to the Aria engine update, so all appears well now. Again, thanks for actually doing something about this.

Here's why I returned to visit again today. I had just uninstalled Sforzando (1.669) but something went haywire in the uninstall procedure. I used Windows Control Panel to uninstall Sforzando. I got a message at the end that some files were left that couldn't be removed but could be "manually" removed. I searched C: partition for both "Sforzando" and "Plogue" and deleted all the files that appeared. Then it occurred to me there may have been an uninstall link in the Plogue START menu. After reinstalling Sforzando I found out that was in fact the case.

So my question, is there a difference in using the Start menu uninstall selection to remove Sforzando (if I ever uninstall it again), or to just use Windows control panel uninstall method? Will the start menu uninstall give a complete removal, better than using Windows uninstaller? Which to use?

Thanks.

davidv
Site Admin

Postby davidv » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:16 am

justintime wrote:So my question, is there a difference in using the Start menu uninstall selection to remove Sforzando (if I ever uninstall it again), or to just use Windows control panel uninstall method? Will the start menu uninstall give a complete removal, better than using Windows uninstaller? Which to use?

Same thing really, its just a more direct shortcut. The reason for the warning message was probably due to an ARIA product still running (or hanged?) in your session
David Viens,

justintime

Postby justintime » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:38 pm

OK. Thanks.

justintime

Postby justintime » Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:23 pm

I gave it a test and added it back into a Pro Tools session (Windows 7 64 bit, Pro Tools 11). The plug in buzzes when it's in BYPASS mode. Doesn't matter what Garritan sample is loaded. Sforzando is free, so no complaints about free, but I'll just say I will be uninstalling Sforzando. Now using Patchworks 1.6 with Aria loaded into it and no trouble so far with that.

davidv
Site Admin

Postby davidv » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:03 am

justintime wrote:I gave it a test and added it back into a Pro Tools session (Windows 7 64 bit, Pro Tools 11). The plug in buzzes when it's in BYPASS mode. Doesn't matter what Garritan sample is loaded. Sforzando is free, so no complaints about free, but I'll just say I will be uninstalling Sforzando. Now using Patchworks 1.6 with Aria loaded into it and no trouble so far with that.

Never occurred me to try and bypass a synth, as its not an effect, but you are right, it needs a quick fix.
Thanks for spotting this issue.

Regards
David Viens,

justintime

Postby justintime » Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:50 pm

Please let me know when you get this fixed. Will this be to Aria engine or to the player itself?

davidv
Site Admin

Postby davidv » Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:28 pm

justintime wrote:Please let me know when you get this fixed. Will this be to Aria engine or to the player itself?

That just require a AAX component update, but I plan on making full sforzando installers in the first week of January.
David Viens,

justintime

Postby justintime » Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:18 pm

I just updated Garitan Personal Orchestra to version 5 (PO5). Windows 7 64-bit. Unfortunately nothing Aria Engine related works as a plug in inside Pro Tools any more, not CFX Grand (in its own window), not Plogue Sforzando, and not Aria Player. However Sforzando, CFX (in it's own window), and Aria Player work in Cubase (current version, and stand alone). Again, the only problems are inside Pro Tools, where if trying to load up anything Aria related, there is an error message.

After restoring to a totally working system that has the PO5 library installed I can use everything, but with older engines. Even PO5 seems to work. Nevertheless, I was told by Garitan support, PO5 requires at least Aria 1.860 for everything to work correctly. So I tried installing the engine update (engine, not player update) to Aria engine 1.877. Again it destroys everything related to Aria in Pro Tools. I've also found that Aria Player / Engine 1.846 is usable and finally is AAX compatible and works inside Pro Tools. Unfortunately it's still not new enough to enable all features of PO5 (need 1.860 for that according to Garitan).

Do you have a link to Sforzando Player 1.860 and to Aria Engine 1.860 so I can test it out?

Thanks.

eric_telemaque

Postby eric_telemaque » Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:34 pm

justintime wrote:I just updated Garitan Personal Orchestra to version 5 (PO5). Windows 7 64-bit. Unfortunately nothing Aria Engine related works as a plug in inside Pro Tools any more, not CFX Grand (in its own window), not Plogue Sforzando, and not Aria Player. However Sforzando, CFX (in it's own window), and Aria Player work in Cubase (current version, and stand alone). Again, the only problems are inside Pro Tools, where if trying to load up anything Aria related, there is an error message.

Do you have a link to Sforzando Player 1.860 and to Aria Engine 1.860 so I can test it out?

Thanks.

Hi,

This is strange as the AAX works fine on the test machines. Could you send us a message through our contact form (http://www.plogue.com/company/contact/) with as much detail as you can? Especially the exact version of Pro tools and the content of the error message. We'll get this sorted out.

Cheers
Éric Patenaude,

Return to “sforzando”