questions about effects

Post your sforzando questions here

Moderators: eric_telemaque, davidv

musicalman

questions about effects

Postby musicalman » Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:48 pm

Hi all,
I read on a topic on this forum that you can use effects in SFZ files with the following code. I tested this and it works for me:
<effect>
type= //whatever
param_offset= //whatever, normally 512
And then you would use

<control>
set_cc512= //whatever

Now, my question.
Can you remap these high CCs to standard controllers later? Say an effect has several parameters but I only want to map one parameter to one controller, or i wanted to map several of the parameters to several different controllers but not be bound by the parameter order in the effect.
Also is it possible to adjust the range of this newly mapped parameter? This would be useful for effects whose parameters have a very wide range. Suppose I have the MDA delay effect (I haven't tested this so I don't know if it's true or not), but let's say it can produce dangerously high feedback levels and I would like to be able to restrain the range of that peramitor. so I map the feedback parameter to CC whatever, say 20, but I also want to be able to specify the range of CC20's adjustment to the parameter that was defined in the param_offset. Am I making sense?
I did discover that you can use param_offset to force the parameters in the CC0-127 range, for example saying param_offset=50. But I don't think that's how it's meant to work, and then you're also bound by the order of the parameter. If the effect has a few parameters which are pretty much useless to you, those controllers have been wasted.
Lastly a more general question. Is there a way to use standard VST effects? inSforzando/Aria? Or do they have to be converted to the Aria effect standard? I'm asking because there are many free VST effects which would be nice to integrate with Aria, provided licenses complied of course. I don't really know how licensing stuff works so I would have to look into that before doing anything. And while the included MDA effects are okay, they are quite dated... I'm certain there are much better license compliant reverb effects than MDA's Ambience, for example.
That's all for now. Have a good day!

Return to “sforzando”