Restricting sforzando to a specific MIDI channel

Post your sforzando questions here

Moderators: eric_telemaque, davidv

freixas

Restricting sforzando to a specific MIDI channel

Postby freixas » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:39 pm

Hi,

Is there any way to restrict sforzando to a single MIDI channel? My MIDI files have different samples assigned to different channels. With multiple copies of sforzando assigned to play a track, each listening for a different channel, I could use sforzando to play the track.

Yes, I'm aware of keyswitches, but I believe they have to be coded in the soundfont. Plus, the MIDI file is already set up with channels, not keyswitches.

If this feature is not available, I hope the designers would consider it for the future. The options seems pretty simple. Copying my EWQL Play program's terminology, Omni (what sforzando does now, I believe) would be the setting to allow sforzando to react to all MIDI channels, 1-16 would let the sforzando player react only to events in the selected channel.
Thanks!

pljones

Re: Restricting sforzando to a specific MIDI channel

Postby pljones » Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:53 am

I'm wondering if this will be a feature in the up-coming (for some time ;)) version of Sforzando "pro" or whatever it gets called.

Arran

Postby Arran » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:25 am

+1 for this please.

eric_telemaque

Postby eric_telemaque » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:57 am

freixas wrote: My MIDI files have different samples assigned to different channels. With multiple copies of sforzando assigned to play a track, each listening for a different channel, I could use sforzando to play the track.

First, sorry your topic kinda slipped through the cracks :oops:

As far as I know, any DAW or VST/AU host already has the feature of filtering instrument tracks by MIDI channel, so that can already be achieved with multiple instances of sforzando as it is right now. I already do that myself in my projects.

Unless there's something I'm missing here please let me know.
Éric Patenaude,
Plogue Art et Technologie Inc. Montreal.
http://www.plogue.com

pljones

Postby pljones » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:32 am

The classic use case for a multitimbral instrument is the two- or three-manual organ, with the different manual sounds selected by channel.

Currently, this needs separate instances of Sforzando - one per manual / sound - with a wrapper (such as MuTools' MuX or - I expect - Plogue Bidule) to handle the routing by channel.

If Sforzando supported the channel on a MIDI event as a region selector then the extra complexity would not be necessary.

It has always seemed a very odd omission to me, as channel is on (nearly) every MIDI event.

freixas

Postby freixas » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:36 pm

eric_telemaque wrote:
freixas wrote: My MIDI files have different samples assigned to different channels. With multiple copies of sforzando assigned to play a track, each listening for a different channel, I could use sforzando to play the track.

First, sorry your topic kinda slipped through the cracks :oops:

As far as I know, any DAW or VST/AU host already has the feature of filtering instrument tracks by MIDI channel, so that can already be achieved with multiple instances of sforzando as it is right now. I already do that myself in my projects.

Unless there's something I'm missing here please let me know.

What you are missing, Eric, is the pain of setting it up.

I use Reaper. I import a MIDI file with multiple tracks. Each track uses multiple channels. Let's say one of the tracks represents a cello and I have samples for legato, staccato, pizzicato and tremolo. I set up four additional tracks, associate each one with an instance of sforzando, each instance using a different articulation. Then I create "Sends" on the original cello track that tells Reaper to send a selected MIDI channel on this track to another track/channel. If I want to jointly control the volume or effects (e.g. reverb) of the four articulation tracks, I need to create yet another track that groups the four articulation tracks. Repeat for each instrument track. It's messy and hard to manage.

If I had the requested feature, I would just have the one cello track with four instances of sforzando. Each instance would be set up for one channel. Done.

If I have five instruments, each with four articulations, I currently wind up with 30+ tracks: the 5 original, plus 20 articulation tracks + 5 grouping tracks + maybe a master track (for global effects).

There may be cases where I might want to use my current method even if sforzando filtered the MIDI channels. For example, if I needed a different reverb for one articulation, then I would have to split that out. But that would probably be the exception rather than the rule.

Coding should be trivial. I think the hardest part is probably the user interface, which is could be a drop-down with selections for each channel plus "omni". If you want to get fancier, you could have sixteen check boxes, with all them checked by default.

For the stand-alone sforzando, it would be great if you could have it be both multi-track and multi-channel, but I suspect you don't want to create a DAW. :-)

eric_telemaque

Postby eric_telemaque » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:13 pm

freixas wrote:
I use Reaper. I import a MIDI file with multiple tracks. Each track uses multiple channels. Let's say one of the tracks represents a cello and I have samples for legato, staccato, pizzicato and tremolo. I set up four additional tracks, associate each one with an instance of sforzando, each instance using a different articulation. Then I create "Sends" on the original cello track that tells Reaper to send a selected MIDI channel on this track to another track/channel. If I want to jointly control the volume or effects (e.g. reverb) of the four articulation tracks, I need to create yet another track that groups the four articulation tracks. Repeat for each instrument track. It's messy and hard to manage.

That's an interesting perspective, I must say. I totally get it.
Another feature to put on the "Would be nice" list. :)
Éric Patenaude,
Plogue Art et Technologie Inc. Montreal.
http://www.plogue.com

Return to “sforzando”