Sforzando fails to open (Enumerating through 43 billion audio devices)

Post your sforzando questions here

Moderators: eric_telemaque, davidv

Woch

Sforzando fails to open (Enumerating through 43 billion audio devices)

Postby Woch » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:36 pm

Sorry if this is the incorrect place for this post, the aria forums redirect here so I think this is where I can get support?

Sforzando runs fine on my laptop, and I haven't seen anyone else with this problem so I'm not sure what set it off.

Whenever I try to start the program on my desktop, a small window pops up and disappears within a fraction of a second. It does not display afterwards, but it does appear in the task manager, where it slowly makes its way up to using gigabytes of memory. If I didn't force-quit it, I'd expect it to eventually use up all the memory it can, then possibly lock up and crash.

I found the log files the program made, and it looks like the PortAudio function Pa_CountDevices(), in my guess, is returning a negative number to an unsigned integer, which makes it wrap around to the max value of 4294957296... Anyways, the program finds that many "devices" and begins enumerating through them, where the string "Dev:N pointer is null! skipping device" (N being the current device number) is printed for thousands (hundreds of thousands?) of lines until it gets to the point where I manually force quit the program.

I'd love to use the program but I can't seem to find a way around this problem... If anyone could help, it would be much appreciated!

I can copy/paste the partial log file here but not the entire thing, because it's over a gigabyte in size.

pljones

Re: Sforzando fails to open (Enumerating through 43 billion audio devices)

Postby pljones » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:21 am

Do you have any ASIO driver on your desktop?

seb@plogue
Site Admin

Postby seb@plogue » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:41 am

Could you give more information about your desktop system?

I don't recall ever seeing this kind of behaviour reported.

Woch

Postby Woch » Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:04 pm

Ironically while writing this up, I disabled an HDMI device that wouldn't play a test tone, and it seems to have completely fixed my problem

I'm using ASIO4ALL v2.
I'm running Windows 10 Home (64-bit), my setup is as follows:
-Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.66 GHz
-Nvidia GeForce GTX 960
-18gb ram
My default sound device is an Alesis IO/2 express audio interface, which I've been using for a while.
The other sound devices are just onboard my computer's hardware:
-S/PDIF audio device (optical)
-Onboard (Motherboard) sound device (not in use)
-nVidia audio device (going to my monitor's built-in speakers)
-Another "Digital audio" HDMI device (DISABLING THIS FIXED THE PROBLEM)
I'm also using an old M-audio keyboard but I don't think that really contributes.

Looking over the logs again it seems to be fussing over an HDMI sound device:

Code: Select all

I:0x 110:2892:484395478:Cannot create DirectSound for Digital Audio (HDMI) (High Definition Audio Device). Result = 0x88890008
I:0x 110:2892:484395478:Digital Audio (HDMI) (High Definition Audio Device)'s GUID: {0x12fed0e4,0xf2f7,0x45a0,0x95,0x4d,0x62,0xbb,0x8b,0xf3,0xe7, 0x80}

and:

Code: Select all

I:0x 610:2892:484395629:WASAPI:0| name[Digital Audio (HDMI) (High Definition Audio Device)]
I:0x 610:2892:484395629:WASAPI:0| form-factor[9]
I:0x 610:2892:484395630:WASAPI: failed PaWasapi_Initialize error[-9986|Internal PortAudio error]

Pa_Initialize() returns an error but passes anyway: Pa_Initialize Error number: -9986 Error message: Internal PortAudio error

Thanks for the quick response anyway. It seems that for some reason an audio device on my desktop is defective and Sforzando trips up when encountering it. Maybe consider adding an extra measure when encountering problem devices?

I just tested the program and everything works. I hope this can help you in some way to improve your software in the future!

seb@plogue
Site Admin

Postby seb@plogue » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:47 am

Thanks for the details.

I'll have a closer look at Portaudio's code because normally in case of major error it should fail completely and return 0 devices.

Return to “sforzando”