Does Sforzando require an active internet connection to install? Not recognized in REAPER

Post your sforzando questions here

Moderators: eric_telemaque, davidv

Stephen Dataless

Does Sforzando require an active internet connection to install? Not recognized in REAPER

Postby Stephen Dataless » Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:23 pm

HI,

I was loving Sforzando on my other machine. But I had a lot of other problems with malware and so had to get a dedicated machine and keep it completely offline. I downloaded a couple different versions of Sforzando onto a USB stick from a friend's machine, then tried to install it on my offline machine.

The standalone version of Sforzando seems to work fine, but that is practically useless to me, as I need to use it in REAPER. I read the manual, installed, uninstalled, reinstalled probably over half a dozen times. I also modified the FX search paths inside REAPER to recognize the installation folder. I dragged and dropped the various .dll files into REAPER's FX folder numerous times. I tried installing Sforzando directly into the REAPER FX folder. REAPER refuses to recognize Sforzando at all, it simply doesn't show up in FX. It does fine on my other machine (which I have from an older version). I tried two different version of Sforzando on my new machine (v1.877 and v1.848)

I'm at my wits end. I'm running Windows 7 64bit on an HP Elitebook 8440p, brand new 8GB RAM and brand new SSD. Using REAPER v5.26.

I sure hope I can get Sforzando working because most of my favorite instruments are in SFZ, and now all of the projects I need to redo on this isolated machine are held up.

One more thing: when I try install Sforzando into REAPER FX folder, and when REAPER starts after I've installed it, a message appears:

"Aria engine loading failed. Please connect to the internet to update to your certificate."

This leads me to wonder, does Sforzando require an internet connection to install? I don't remember seeing that in the terms, and I generally never use opaque software that calls home behind my back. It doesn't mention it during the installation process as far as I can tell.

Any ideas? I'm having a terrible time with this.

seb@plogue
Site Admin

Re: Does Sforzando require an active internet connection to install? Not recognized in REAPER

Postby seb@plogue » Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:05 pm

It doesn't need an active internet connection nor does it call home.
What it does is validate that the authenticity of the digital signature on files which normally can be done all locally without any network access.

However, when you get that error message it means that the certificate chain is missing one (or more certificate) to validate. If this happens
on a Internet connected computer, Windows will check for updated certificates from Microsoft servers (these also get pushed through Windows updates). You can verify that this is happening by looking at the Digital Signature tab when doing Properties on aria_x64.dll, clicking on Details and then View Certificate -> Certification Path should show that there is something missing in the chain. You are probably missing either/both R1 and/or R3
from this page (they can be installed manually):

https://support.globalsign.com/customer/portal/articles/1426602-globalsign-root-certificates

You might want to try to update ARIA engine first:
http://ariaengine.com/support/aria-engine-update/

I _think_ that the ARIA engine update has a fix for that but I'm not a 100% certain.

Stephen Dataless

Re: Does Sforzando require an active internet connection to install? Not recognized in REAPER

Postby Stephen Dataless » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:07 am

Hello Seb,

Thank for this response. I have finally got this working.

I downloaded all the certificates and the Aria update and installed them. I was no longer getting the certificate error, but Sforzando was still not recognized in REAPER. I uninstalled all Plogue manually and reinstalled everything. Still nothing. Re-read the manual for the third or fourth time.

While searching again all my plugins/paths I noticed the VST3 folder showed up in REAPER, but for some reason the VST2 folder didn't. The Plogue folder with Sforzando was in the VST2 folder, which for some reason was not automatically showing up in REAPER like the VST3 folder. From inside REAPER Options/Preferences/Plug-ins/VST I added the VST2 folder path where the Plogue folder with Sforzando and Aria was installed, cleared plug-in cache and rescanned the VST2 folder, and Sforzando finally registers in REAPER! I thought I'd done this before and it didn't work (since Plogue installs in several folders) but maybe I did it wrong or the bad certificate was stopping it from working.

So far so good...

Thank you again for making this excellent software and for even taking the time to offer support on a freebie!

:-)

Very excited trying some of these new SFZ instruments people have made - there is really some free high quality instruments out there in SFZ. Generally on principle I like to stay only with open source things, but I'm so happy with this I'm considering even buying Garritan now.

Best wishes,

Dataless

eric_telemaque

Postby eric_telemaque » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:23 am

Hi Stephen,

Glad it's working!
And thanks for sharing your issue and how you've resolved it. This can come in handy for other users!

Cheers
Éric Patenaude,
Plogue Art et Technologie Inc. Montreal.
http://www.plogue.com

Return to “sforzando”