Activation On Linux

Post your sforzando questions here

Moderators: eric_telemaque, davidv

mdiemer

Activation On Linux

Postby mdiemer » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:28 pm

First of all, new member here, and thank you for the wonderful sfz player you have made available to the world. As a long time user of Garritan Personal Orchestra, and someone interested in making music on Linux, the possibility of using GPO on Linux is very exciting to me. Which brings me to my question: I am using Zorin 12 Ultimate. It comes with Wine installed, and I was able to install GPO 4 and 5, as well as sfz. I was even able able to get both Aria and sfz to work, if only briefly. The problem is with activation. I drag my GPO image onto the player, but the process bogs down after that, and Aria stops working. sfz will still work, but I can't use it as there is no saving. (I also am having trouble getting it into LMMS, but that's another story). So, is there some special process for activating Aria and sfz on Linux? I would love to start making music with GPO on Linux, and am so close to being there. I just need to activate Aria/sfz.

Thanks, Michael

eric_telemaque

Re: Activation On Linux

Postby eric_telemaque » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:35 pm

Hi Michael and welcome!

While it's been reported that some of our products work with Wine, sforzando and bank registration is a complex matter in that context.

The "Import" option of the "Instrument" menu (choosing your keycard instead of a sfz file) might be an option, but I'd be surprised if it works.

There is another thread about someone having a similar issue with Alter/Ego:
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=7492&

Although the matter is slightly different, the Idea remains the same. You will have to hack your Wine registry to get Aria to see the
"license_path"=

Since this is unsupported and untested, I can't guarantee success, but I wish you all the best! :)
Éric Patenaude,
Plogue Art et Technologie Inc. Montreal.
http://www.plogue.com

mdiemer

Postby mdiemer » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:56 pm

Thank you Erik. Actually, importing the keycards did work on sfz. I copied them to my pictures folder and told sfz to look for them there and immediately got the message that GPO was activated. So sfz works, although apparently without any extras like reverb. but it's a start.

Activation still is a problem with Aria. I can load sounds, but I get mostly distortion, although you can hear the instrument in the background. So I don't know if that's a different problem.

Someone on the Make Music forum have me some suggestions as well, regarding trying to get Aria to find the keycard, so I'll be trying those as well.

All in all, I am encouraged. Being able to use GPO on Linux is exciting, as it means I have a quality orchestral library available, rather than just soundfonts and what not.

Thanks Again,

Michael

eric_telemaque

Postby eric_telemaque » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:31 am

mdiemer wrote:Thank you Erik. Actually, importing the keycards did work on sfz. I copied them to my pictures folder and told sfz to look for them there and immediately got the message that GPO was activated. So sfz works, although apparently without any extras like reverb. but it's a start.

Activation still is a problem with Aria. I can load sounds, but I get mostly distortion, although you can hear the instrument in the background. So I don't know if that's a different problem.

Audio playback quality is a different problem, unrelated to activation. This is likely to be a sound card driver issue. But once the keycard is imported, are you able to save a project?

Cheers.
Éric Patenaude,

eric_telemaque

Postby eric_telemaque » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:47 am

The other problem if you're having issues with Aria Player's registration:

A license card for Aria Player is normally installed in the program's folder and usually requires no intervention on the user's part.
Maybe that card's location ins't written properly in the registry.
Éric Patenaude,

mdiemer

Postby mdiemer » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:57 pm

Well, today when I try both sforzando and Aria, there are no activation problems. Both appear to be activated. sfz works with GPO4-5, but no effects work. With Aria, when I first tried it, I got the same as yesterday: distorted sound, but at least sound.

Here are the settings for sfz, which again basically works:

Midi Input: Midi Through Port 0 (in)
Audio Device API: MME
Audio Device: Pulse Audio
Stereo Pair: 1-2
Sample Rate: 44100
Buffer Size: 8192

OK, so I just copied these settings to Aria, and I have sound. No effects, and the sound is very weak. Maybe I need to up the velocity setting. Also, my midi keyboard does not work. But we are getting somewhere! GPO on Linux!

eric_telemaque

Postby eric_telemaque » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:07 am

mdiemer wrote:
OK, so I just copied these settings to Aria, and I have sound. No effects, and the sound is very weak. Maybe I need to up the velocity setting. Also, my midi keyboard does not work. But we are getting somewhere! GPO on Linux!

Glad you're making progress!
Maybe stating the obvious, but most often the "weak sound' issue with GPO is caused by the mod wheel being set too low as this is the volume expression control for many GPO instruments.

Hopefully some Linux wizz could chime in and give some pointers about low latency audio drivers for Wine? I'm sure there's something to be done about that...
Éric Patenaude,

mdiemer

Postby mdiemer » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:31 pm

I think if I could get sfz or Aria into LMMS, I would then be able to use controllers to make volume, pan and reverb changes. But since I can't, I can only speculate. So far, I've only been fiddling with the standalone "desktop" version. The problem with LMMS is in my opinion a problem with LMMS, not sfz or Aria. Other players do work in LMMS, it just won't recognize sfz or Aria.

My long-term plan is to wait for Reaper to have a Native Linux version, something that they are working on. But that will take time. obviously. I'm hoping it's ready by 2020, the EOL for Windows 7.

mdiemer

Postby mdiemer » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:55 pm

I have succeeded not only in activating both Aria and sforzando on Zorin 12, I now have them working in LMMS as VST inst's. Eric's suggestion to import the keycard actually worked. That got the standalone versions working. I finally discovered last night that the dll versions were hiding in my Wine/C:/ProgramFiles/Garritan and Plogue folders. That allowed me to finally import them into the Vestige plugin that comes with LMMS. Only the 32 bit works, but possibly with more configuration the 64 bit will as well.

Bottom line: Garritan Personal Orchestra 4 and 5 working in LMMS on Linux Zorin 12. The ambiance and convolution reverbs work with the send on the mixer. In fact, all controls work. Most importantly, it saves, and reopens. So, fully functional. So far I have only used an instance of Aria or sforzando per inst, but I'm going to try using multiple instruments on the same instance and see what happens.

Return to “sforzando”