Sforzando running on Linux through WINE

Post your sforzando questions here

Moderators: eric_telemaque, davidv

andresflamenco

Sforzando running on Linux through WINE

Postby andresflamenco » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:17 pm

Hello, and greetings from Argentina!
I am a music teacher and composer, as well as Sforzando's user for almost two years. I will not lie you: like many other people I was a software accumulator for years, until I took the decision to have only free and legal software on my computer.

It was at that moment that I discovered Sforzando and, really, it is the best piece of music production software that I used in my life. I thank the developers for the immense work and generosity of making it public and free!

About two months ago, and because of my intense search for free software, I took another step in that direction, and completely uninstalled the original Windows 10 that came with my laptop, to install Ubuntu Studio 16.04. My life changed. Linux and free software were what I was looking for.

I had to install WINE for the only native Windows program I have now running on my PC: Sforzando! It works perfectly, except for the libraries that can not register (the .xml files, dragging and dropping them in the Sforzando window will cause a freeze of the program until it closes, I use it directly from the .sfz, no GUI). Beyond that, everything works fine, I can play with my MIDI controller in real time and record with Ardour, without problems.

And now the big question for developers: Is there any chance that there will at some point be a native Linux version of Sforzando? I would be the happiest musician in the world if you told me yes! I guess I'm not the only one using Sforzando through Wine, the entire Linux community would be grateful!
Last edited by andresflamenco on Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eric_telemaque

Re: Sforzando running on Linux through WINE

Postby eric_telemaque » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:28 pm

andresflamenco wrote:
It was at that moment that I discovered Sforzando and, really, it is the best piece of music production software that I used in my life. I thank the developers for the immense work and generosity of making it public and free!

Thank You!

andresflamenco wrote:And now the big question for developers: Is there any chance that there will at some point be a native Linux version of Sforzando? I would be the happiest musician in the world if you told me yes! I guess I'm not the only one using Sforzando through Wine, the entire Linux community would be grateful!

Sorry to disappoint, but there is no plan to port our products to Linux in the foreseeable future. Too small a team with many projects ahead.
Éric Patenaude,
Plogue Art et Technologie Inc. Montreal.
http://www.plogue.com

andresflamenco

Postby andresflamenco » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:39 pm

Thanks anyway! ... I had to ask, right? I hope someday there may be a native Linux version of Sforzando. I will not lose hope! :D In the meantime, I will continue to play through WINE. THANK YOU!

mdiemer

Postby mdiemer » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:24 pm

Just wanted to let you know that Reaper is working on a Linux Native version. You might want to check out this thread:

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=85588

I think it will be awhile yet before it's ready, and using it will require some sophistication with Linux, especially if you want to to use Windows VST's.

On the other hand, I have successfully gotten sfz, along with the Aria player, to work as a standalone version on Linux. I can load all the GPO sounds on either one and they work. But when I try to load it into a Linux DAW, like LMMS, I run into problems.

I too have become disenchanted with Windows, and look forward to the day when I can do music on Linux. If it ever comes. Until then, I'll continue using Windows 7 Pro, even past 2020 if necessary, just keeping it offline.

andresflamenco

Postby andresflamenco » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:23 am

mdiemer wrote:Just wanted to let you know that Reaper is working on a Linux Native version. You might want to check out this thread:

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=85588

I did not know, thank you! I'm going to take a look, I just used Reaper on Windows! Anyway, I am now advancing in my learning with Ardor

On the other hand, I have successfully gotten sfz, along with the Aria player, to work as a standalone version on Linux. I can load all the GPO sounds on either one and they work. But when I try to load it into a Linux DAW, like LMMS, I run into problems.

What I did was the following: I installed Wine. Then, Sforzando. The only tricky thing was to get it to sound in standalone mode but, once I got it, everything worked perfectly.

Now I can record the sounds I play in Sforzando with Ardour (all through Jack). It's fantastic. It really makes me sad that the developers do not have a native Linux version. :-( As I said before, I have Wine installed only to be able to run Sforzando ... But, hey, I can still enjoy it on Linux anyway! :-)

I too have become disenchanted with Windows, and look forward to the day when I can do music on Linux. If it ever comes. Until then, I'll continue using Windows 7 Pro, even past 2020 if necessary, just keeping it offline

I was more drastic and completely removed the original Windows 10 that came with my laptop, to install Ubuntu Studio 64 as the only OS. And I'm very happy with that! :-)

Return to “sforzando”