Using Sforzando as plug-in in Max for Live

Post your sforzando questions here

Moderators: eric_telemaque, davidv

pauloord

Using Sforzando as plug-in in Max for Live

Postby pauloord » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:55 am

I use Sforzando as a plug-in within a Max for Live instrument (a plug-in in a plug-in, so to say) for easy control of Sforzando with CC messages (plug-in parameters in M4L) and without opening the full Sforzando GUI in Ableton Live. This works for many CC messages, but I cannot find how to control the Sforzando instrument-setting with the M4L parameters. Is there a way to control this setting "from outside" Sforzando?

eric_telemaque

Re: Using Sforzando as plug-in in Max for Live

Postby eric_telemaque » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:23 am

The Instrument menu doesn't respond to external control. It's just a File menu. Unless chosen through master presets (*.ariax), it's just a click-and-choose affair.

Since sforzando responds well to MIDI CC messages, you could make a meta-sfz which loads sub sfz files through CC, such as in sforzatron. You could copy it's structure (using only one instead of three to begin with) patch names wouldn't show up in the interface for home made sfz, though.

Another method would be to make on large sfz with layers triggered by keyswitches... War Tuba uses this for different articulations. feel free to download and copy the recipe for your own stuff :)
Éric Patenaude,
Plogue Art et Technologie Inc. Montreal.
http://www.plogue.com

pauloord

Postby pauloord » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:09 am

Hi Eric,
thanks for your suggestions. I will check them.
For now I use Sforzando in a Live Set in 8 tracks. Therefore I created a M4L instrument with the Sforzando (AU) plug-in with 8 snapshots, and use a different snapshot (and .sf2-file) for every track. This works, but the snapshot settings are not saved when you save the Live Set. So everytime you open the Live Set again, you have to select the snapshots for all 8 tracks. This solution is not optimal, but it makes it easy to select a track and change the setting without opening the Sforzando GUI.

eric_telemaque

Postby eric_telemaque » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:01 am

pauloord wrote:For now I use Sforzando in a Live Set in 8 tracks. Therefore I created a M4L instrument with the Sforzando (AU) plug-in with 8 snapshots, and use a different snapshot (and .sf2-file) for every track. This works, but the snapshot settings are not saved when you save the Live Set. So everytime you open the Live Set again, you have to select the snapshots for all 8 tracks. This solution is not optimal, but it makes it easy to select a track and change the setting without opening the Sforzando GUI.

Under normal circumstances, the Snapshots should be saved with your sessions. Are these snapshots come from your own patches or do they come from commercial ARIA products such as Garritan, Production voices or Fisound? Or a mix of both?
Éric Patenaude,

pauloord

Postby pauloord » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:38 am

The snapshots are mine. They are saved in a vst~ plugin (with Sforzando) in a M4L patch. They appear in the Live tracks, but when I select the snapshots in the tracks and save the Live set, the next time I open the set the snapshot-seletion(s) are not saved.

At this moment I try your Sforzatron solution, it works very well but launch time is now 3-4 minutes (previously less than a minute). Therefore I stripped down Sforzatron (only one tron, and only my own samples) but no changes...
Now I'm able to change the voices with CC20 messages generated from a M4L dropdown-list in the patch. But of course they are not saved in the Live set!
So not much progress, but this is the way to learn more!

By the way, what are "normal circomstances"?

eric_telemaque

Postby eric_telemaque » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:19 am

pauloord wrote:The snapshots are mine. They are saved in a vst~ plugin (with Sforzando) in a M4L patch. They appear in the Live tracks, but when I select the snapshots in the tracks and save the Live set, the next time I open the set the snapshot-seletion(s) are not saved.

At this moment I try your Sforzatron solution, it works very well but launch time is now 3-4 minutes (previously less than a minute). Therefore I stripped down Sforzatron (only one tron, and only my own samples) but no changes...
Now I'm able to change the voices with CC20 messages generated from a M4L dropdown-list in the patch. But of course they are not saved in the Live set!
So not much progress, but this is the way to learn more!

By the way, what are "normal circomstances"?

Load times will be longer because all the samples form all the patches get loaded beforehand.

The "normal circumstances" are when the host program saves the state of the plug-ins with its sessions. I was also asking because our commercial products such as chipsounds will load in sforzando, but when running in Demo mode (unregistered) patches won't save.

We'd like to know a bit ore how M4L handles session save. Would you be kind enough to send us the log files using the method described here?

http://ariaengine.com/faq/index.php?solution_id=1093

You can attach those using our contact form. That'd be really appreciated
Éric Patenaude,

Return to “sforzando”