Key switch to change scala tuning?

Post your sforzando questions here

Moderators: eric_telemaque, davidv

Pauly

Key switch to change scala tuning?

Postby Pauly » Wed May 10, 2017 1:00 pm

I discovered Sforzando a couple months ago and absolutley love it! Not only have I found some great new SFZs but I can now use my old SF2 library which I built up over the years.

PLUS I am an avid enthusiast of Alternate tunings, just intonations and other temperaments so the SCALA feature is wonderful. It even handles Harry Partch's 43 tone monster of a scale!

But more to the point. My question is: Is there a way to set up midi Keyboard keystrokes to change the scala tuning "on the fly" while playing?

Example: I have a piece which modulates and I want to change "keys" with more accurate scales via scala. Can I dedicate an octave of a midi keyboard to send messages to the plugin to switch between scales?

I know many here might just say "Why?" but anyone who's into non Equal Tunings will understand.

I use Reaper which so far works beautifully with Sforzando and I wonder if there are features that DAW which may also be used to achieve this.

Paul

Pauly

Re: Key switch to change scala tuning?

Postby Pauly » Wed May 10, 2017 1:10 pm

If anyone here is familiar with Eviend Groven's work with his 36 tone organ and "GrovenMax" software. It is similar to what I am trying to achieve with Sforzando. David Loberg Code has developed a sampler which works on Groven's tuning system but it is only stable in the Mac world and alas I am a PC guy.
I thought I would add this should anyone here know what I am talking about.

eric_telemaque

Postby eric_telemaque » Wed May 10, 2017 1:26 pm

Hi Pauly.

As you may have noticed, the Scala setting in sforzando is a file loading dialog, which is sadly as far from a dynamic parameter as can be. :(

Unless you create sfz files with multiple keyswitched groups, each with their own per-region tuning offsets... but that would defeat the purpose of Scala altogether.
Éric Patenaude,
Plogue Art et Technologie Inc. Montreal.
http://www.plogue.com

Pauly

Postby Pauly » Wed May 10, 2017 2:22 pm

Eric,

Thanks for your response. it's not that I am attached to scala as a means of using different tunings. Can you elaborate on creating an SFZ with ""per region tuning offsets"? I haven't done any editing of SFZ's though I have browsed through various programs, what do you recommend?

Pauly

pljones

Postby pljones » Wed May 10, 2017 4:59 pm

Another option is to load multiple instances of Sforzando and use key switching to switch between them in some form of wrapper VST. I don't know Bidule but that might be one option for handling the set up. MuTools' MuX might be another. It could also be possible in Reaper but I've really no idea about that.

Pauly

Postby Pauly » Wed May 10, 2017 6:44 pm

Interesting,

I have tried multiple instances of the VST and I must say I am very impressed at how it doesn't start "cracking up" like some other sampling plugins I've used. That gives me an idea! I do have a little NANOKONTROL which could be used to solo each track when the desired key is wanted. That Bidule look intriguing I should check it out.

Thanks all

Pauly

Postby Pauly » Sun May 14, 2017 2:17 pm

Well, using the nanokontrol to change instances of sforzanfo is very "clunky" not a good option.

Eric you wrote:

"
Unless you create sfz files with multiple keyswitched groups, each with their own per-region tuning offsets... but that would defeat the purpose of Scala altogether.

"

How would I go about this? Would I need an sfz editor?

eric_telemaque

Postby eric_telemaque » Tue May 16, 2017 9:34 am

Pauly wrote:Well, using the nanokontrol to change instances of sforzanfo is very "clunky" not a good option.

Eric you wrote:
"
"
How would I go about this? Would I need an sfz editor?

A text editor (Notepad++ is my favorite) and some sfz knowledge is all you need.
sfz files are plain text you just need to know the opcodes.

I can't go in the lengths of making a complex sfz patch such as what I suggested. But in short, it means making multiple copies of the mapping (all the <region> bits ) placing them in a <group> with the opcode sw_last=x (x being the note number for the keyswitch) and then adjusting the tuning of each <region> according to the tuning you want to use.

short example:

Code: Select all

<global>
sw_lokey=24
sw_hikey=28
sw_default=24

<group>
sw_last=24
sw_label=alternate tuning 1

<region>
key=60 
sample=c4.wav 
tune=-6

<region>
key=61 
sample=c#4.wav 
tune=0

<region>
key=62 
sample=d4.wav 
tune=3

/////////////////////////

<group>
sw_last=25
sw_label=alternate tuning 2

<region>
key=60 
sample=c4.wav 
tune=0

<region>
key=61 
sample=c#4.wav 
tune=8

<region>
key=62 
sample=d4.wav 
tune=5

If other fellow forumites want to chime in, they're more than welcome :)
Éric Patenaude,

Pauly

Postby Pauly » Tue May 16, 2017 3:09 pm

Interesting,

Thanks for the reply I will try my hand at this. It seems there are a great many possibilities. I\ll go poke around the text editor function.

Paul

kinwie

Postby kinwie » Wed May 17, 2017 6:02 am

[quote="eric_telemaque"
If other fellow forumites want to chime in, they're more than welcome :)[/quote]

For repeated/similar regions that use different values for same opcodes, I usually use the macro #define and #include to make things easy and effective.
And those macros are really really flexible for creating any preferred programming structure.

I can't write down the long lines here, but this example probably can give you the idea :

- Create a file for the mapping :
<region> key 48 tune=$SAMPLE01_TUNE sample=sine1.wav
<region> key 49 tune=$SAMPLE02_TUNE sample=sine2.wav
<region> key 50 tune=$SAMPLE03_TUNE sample=sine3.wav

- Then create another file for the tuning definitions :

eg, Tune_file1
#define $SAMPLE01_TUNE 15
#define $SAMPLE02_TUNE 32
#define $SAMPLE03_TUNE 28

eg, Tune_file2
#define $SAMPLE01_TUNE -37
#define $SAMPLE02_TUNE 9
#define $SAMPLE03_TUNE 54

and so on, depend to how many tuning you want to make.

Then create the Main sfz file and include the Tune_files then the mapping file within each Keyswitch.

eric_telemaque

Postby eric_telemaque » Wed May 17, 2017 9:23 am

Thanks Kinwie!

Although I see this as a more "advanced" technique, it is indeed a real time saver!
Éric Patenaude,

kinwie

Postby kinwie » Thu May 18, 2017 4:44 am

Cheers Eric!

Ahh, sorry for the "advanced" trick btw :) .
Our forum was so quite, but this couple days I see more new post, yeahh!

Return to “sforzando”