Multiple instances Sforzando VST?

Post your sforzando questions here

Moderators: eric_telemaque, davidv

dailym

Multiple instances Sforzando VST?

Postby dailym » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:39 am

Hi there,
I just created an account and am new with Sforzando, so not sure if this question is about ARIA engine or Sforzando... apologies if it's in the wrong forum.

I came across an old post elsewhere that was hinting at the fact that multiple instances of Sforzando can share memory if triggering the same samples. Is this true of the VST version too? (or is it true at all? did I misread?)

I am making the audio software for a 16 channel interactive sound installation, and I need a sample player for each of the 16 channels. they will all be playing the same audio files (but with different effects). I have been testing with a sampler that has up to 16 outs from a single instance, but I'd prefer to use Sforzando as it seems easy to customize, and seems relatively light and high quality.
but when I load 8 vst instances to get 16 channels it bogs down. Any hints?

Thanks

davidv
Site Admin

Re: Multiple instances Sforzando VST?

Postby davidv » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:16 am

dailym wrote:Hi there,
I just created an account and am new with Sforzando, so not sure if this question is about ARIA engine or Sforzando... apologies if it's in the wrong forum.

I came across an old post elsewhere that was hinting at the fact that multiple instances of Sforzando can share memory if triggering the same samples. Is this true of the VST version too? (or is it true at all? did I misread?)

I am making the audio software for a 16 channel interactive sound installation, and I need a sample player for each of the 16 channels. they will all be playing the same audio files (but with different effects). I have been testing with a sampler that has up to 16 outs from a single instance, but I'd prefer to use Sforzando as it seems easy to customize, and seems relatively light and high quality.
but when I load 8 vst instances to get 16 channels it bogs down. Any hints?

Thanks

The RAM is indeed shared unless each instance run in their own "vst bridge". Make sure you load the appropriate version of sforzando, and that no bridge is used. Cheers
David Viens,
Plogue Art et Technologie Inc. Montreal.
http://www.plogue.com

dailym

Postby dailym » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:00 pm

Hi David, thanks for the quick response!

Is there a way I can test if it's properly sharing RAM?
I'm working in Max 6, using the vst~ object, and I don't think it needs a bridge (both are 64-bit), but it acts like it's taking up tons of resources. I'm Not quite sure what's happening.

Oh also, what in this case is the "appropriate version"?

davidv
Site Admin

Postby davidv » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:13 pm

dailym wrote:Oh also, what in this case is the "appropriate version"?

Same bit-ness is what I meant.
Have a look at each sforzando's settings tab and watch over RAM resources on multiple instances.

Load one instance, fill it with a huge sample lib.
Load ANOTHER instance, check its RAM TOTAL setting, if you see the same stuff in there as the other instances, then its shared.

You might have a CPU usage issues more than a RAM issue as well?
David Viens,

Plogue Art et Technologie Inc. Montreal.

http://www.plogue.com

Return to “sforzando”