Moderators: eric_telemaque, davidv

davidv
Site Admin

Re: Troubleshooting Clicks, Dropped Notes, and Disk Loss Rep

Postby davidv » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:27 am

You probably mean 1.809.

Thanks
David Viens,
Plogue Art et Technologie Inc. Montreal.
http://www.plogue.com

Credo

Postby Credo » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:57 am

davidv wrote:You probably mean 1.809.

Thanks

Yes, 1.809 is correct. Sorry I got that wrong.

Even more sessions under my belt without issue...add an assortment of memory hogging and drive tickling plugins from various sources running in tandem with Aria.

Thanks again....
Credo

Credo

Postby Credo » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:32 am

Trying 1.814 engine.

Problems have returned...
Tried a variety of precache sizes.

Logs attached

Credo
Attachments
Aria logs Brian.tar.gz
(66.87 KiB) Downloaded 107 times

davidv
Site Admin

Postby davidv » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:55 am

The problem never left. There were no changes in the last months in ARIA regarding streaming I'm afraid.
We still cannot reproduce the issue. Would need your machine in here to test.
David Viens,

davidv
Site Admin

Postby davidv » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:48 pm

Looking at the log (thanks for that) there is something that might explain some of your issues.

I:0x 206:1648:458637:000000002B4B52A8 EngineSettings::load_ariax( C:/Program Files/Garritan/ARIA Player/Presets/com.Plogue.Aria/GPO/15 Pipe Organ.ariax)
(...)
I:0x 206:1648:458947:SampleBufferHeap::setMaximumAllocMB set to :256 (268435456 bytes)

Seems the "15 Pipe Organ.ariax" presets CHANGES the "MAX RAM" setting used by all instances of ARIA together to a lowly limit of 256MB! If you are already close to the limit due to loading too much data in pre-cache, then the streamer will just choke when trying to read further blocks from already loaded sounds, as it cannot recycle the first block of each file- AKA "Inst. Disk Pre-Caching" (please bear in mind that those GPO presets were made in 2010 for 32 bit machines with 2GB of ram)

In 2015 all these old .ariax ensembles would need to be stripped of maxStreamAllocMB="256" statements
You could do a find and replace so that this doesn't happen.

If you load more than one ensemble in ARIA Player x64, you sadly have to look out for this, but once you know about it, its easy.

max_stream.png
max_stream.png (185.56 KiB) Viewed 3209 times

After loading each instance/ensemble, make sure to raise the highlighted setting under A "Max Engine RAM Allocation" as it might have been lowered by another ensemble even in ANOTHER instance. Before you play anything.

Watch B "RAM TOTAL", and always make sure it is not close to A after loading the sounds. All this before playing.
(NOTE this also happens when you get the "Not enough memory to load XYZ") from the previous page of this thread.

Once everything is loaded, please save your song in cubase, so that old silly limits like 256MB do not get kept.
David Viens,

Credo

Postby Credo » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:25 pm

Thanks...
I'll dive into some sessions and keep an eye out for this...

Credo

davidv
Site Admin

Postby davidv » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:30 pm

Credo wrote:Thanks...
I'll dive into some sessions and keep an eye out for this...

Credo

Whether or not its the cause of your issue, I will fix ARIA so that another instance cannot lower the max ram of another if the system is already using more ram than the new limit.
David Viens,

Credo

Postby Credo » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:46 pm

Now it's working great again....
Strange stuff going on with my system I guess.

I could be way off base but...
Following the rules posted earlier about memory and I still had issues so:
I returned to a hardware trouble shooting approach as follows:
1. RoBoCopied my Garritan directory to several different hard drives connected to different busses.
2. Used NTFS file system directory junctions to point at and cycle through the different drives one by one.

So far I get consistent glitches on a couple of different PNY SSD drives (both on the same host at the moment, so it could be the drives, or it might be the PCIe bus, or perhaps the SATA host...who knows?).

The glitches go away (at least for now) on any other media I've tried today (even a relatively slow Toshiba back-up drive on the same SATA host as the two PNY drives). Even works on some ancient WD Raptors software raided over the motherboard's SATA2.

I'd already tried fresh installs to the PNY drives on different hosts and cables before and that didn't fix it. So maybe...it's this particular brand/model of SSD media?

Also seems worthy of noting: With the PNY drives, upping pre-caching to 256 was pretty much a MUST procedure to get a relatively trouble free session. With other brands and types of media the default 32Kb appears to be working great!

I'll take some notes and do some more thrashing over a greater period of time on what currently 'seems' to be problem SSD drives (info on those drives can be found in the dxdiag logs way back in this thread).

Thanks again.....
Credo

Credo

Re: Troubleshooting Clicks, Dropped Notes, and Disk Loss Reports

Postby Credo » Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:10 pm

Update:

Confirmed that these SSD drives don't like streaming applications, and they don't seem to like hosting system pagefiles very much either. They are particularly sensitive to ARIA, but have glitched with other streaming applications as well.

I tried them on a totally different Intel Core Duo rig (With Xeon Quad hacked in) and they produce the same 'disk loss' errors I was getting on the AMD rig.

No firmware updates for these drives...so I've moved away from the PNY drives for any kind of streaming or rapid read/write needs (like pagefiles) and haven't had any streaming issues since.

The drive models in question are:
PNY SSD2SC120G5LC709B121-510
PNY SSD2SC240G3LC709B121-460P

Return to “ARIA Engine”