Are ariax files interchangeable?

Post your ARIA Engine questions here

Moderators: eric_telemaque, davidv

SysExJohn

Are ariax files interchangeable?

Postby SysExJohn » Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:13 am

Hello,

Is it possible to share .ariax files with other people?
In other words, if I've saved an ARIA setup of GPO4 instruments (using the default GPO installation), will another user be able to use that same file to get an identical playback of an smf I've created?

Explanation:
I've sequenced almost all of the Bach Cantatas, initially as simple GM compatible smf's, using simple notation software.
With a number (mostly alto and soprano arias) I've enhanced those sequences using Garritan specific MIDI controllers and GPO instruments.
I would like to be able to share both the smf and ariax files with others.
I wondered if that's possible.

Is the format of ariax files in the public domain?

Many thanks in anticipation.
Kind regards,
John.
Garritan GPO4, IO, JaBB3, CoMB2, World, Harps, GCPO, GPO5.

davidv
Site Admin

Re: Are ariax files interchangeable?

Postby davidv » Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:34 pm

While the ariax (or ensemble) format is not in public domain (not that it is rocket science, its just xml), it is 100% platform neutral. You can exchange it between any ARIA Player user.

Of course, if an instrument of bank is not on the target machine, the engine will report an error, though it will load all other instruments that are present.
David Viens,
Plogue Art et Technologie Inc. Montreal.
http://www.plogue.com

SysExJohn

Postby SysExJohn » Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:21 am

Very many thanks, David.

Ah! Yes.
It never occurred to me to open ariax or ariap files in a simple text editor.
Extremely revealing ... and also cryptic. :?:

A lot of the presets can be worked out, but some remain 'gobbledegook' :? at least to me in my ignorance!

It's interesting to note that many/most/all(?) seem to be set to a resolution of six decimal points!
Is this level of accuracy common/necessary?
More specifically tuning and global tuning. :?:

I observe that pitch bend is set to -1.000000.
Q. Is it possible to set pitch bend range to e.g 12 and if so how?
Q. Does the ARIA player respond to the usual RPN MSB/LSB, data byte method of altering pitch bend range?
The reason I ask is that many files I get from colleagues use this mechanism to implement trills and it appears not to work with many instruments in GPO4.
I suspect that the sequencing or notation programs they use automatically set pitch bend range to one octave.
It's somewhat annoying to have to edit pitch bends into individual trill notes. (Not that it doesn't fail to sound better.)

Lastly (for the moment) I observe that within the 'convolver' settings it is possible to set a 'room size', giving us for example "Baroque Chapel" and "Church", etc.
Is this only possible by programming within an ariax file?

Much is revealed by a little investigation. :idea:
Is this documented (I'm sure it is) and, more importantly, available to Joe Public?

Is there a site or book that you could recommend in order for me to 'swat up' on xml?

Sorry about all the questions. I'm curious. :wink: :?:

Kind regards,
John.

davidv
Site Admin

Postby davidv » Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:53 pm

SysExJohn wrote:I observe that pitch bend is set to -1.000000.
Q. Is it possible to set pitch bend range to e.g 12 and if so how?

ariax files are not meant to be hacked manually by users, and the format can change at any time,
so we will not document it as such. the bend range should be in added in ARIA Player as an option,
and thus should be saved in ariax files. But it will make samples sound extremely bad,
no sample sounds right at more than a third away from its root.

Hence why this option is used on our ARIA based synths (chipsounds/chipspeech) only.

SysExJohn wrote:Q. Does the ARIA player respond to the usual RPN MSB/LSB, data byte method of altering pitch bend range?
The reason I ask is that many files I get from colleagues use this mechanism to implement trills and it appears not to work with many instruments in GPO4.

Sadly no.

SysExJohn wrote:Lastly (for the moment) I observe that within the 'convolver' settings it is possible to set a 'room size', giving us for example "Baroque Chapel" and "Church", etc.

Will have to get to you on that. Garritan/MakeMusic owns the convolver.
David Viens,

Plogue Art et Technologie Inc. Montreal.

http://www.plogue.com

SysExJohn

Postby SysExJohn » Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:46 am

Thank you, David, for your amazingly rapid response.
Do you know the English term 'gob smacked'?
It describes slapping one's hand to one's mouth in amazement.

davidv wrote:ariax files are not meant to be hacked manually by users, and the format can change at any time,
so we will not document it as such. the bend range should be in added in ARIA Player as an option,
and thus should be saved in ariax files. But it will make samples sound extremely bad,
no sample sounds right at more than a third away from its root.

Hence why this option is used on our ARIA based synths (chipsounds/chipspeech) only.

Ah! But the problem, for any company, is that if it can be altered by a user, then it almost certainly will be, especially if plain text editing is available.
It's always a problem for software development companies. (I worked for more than forty years in the computer and telecoms/satcoms industries.)
I tend to deprecate the word 'hacked' except when used to describe illegal activities such as the planting of viruses or the theft of copyright.

I don't see myself as a hacker, more an experimenter.
I don't expect support for code changes I make myself.

With reference to the pitch bend range of an octave, I've now tracked it down to the rather useful Pitch Bend Window in the Staff View within Yamaha's older software XGworks and SOL. It has predefined MIDI files giving a wide range of guitar playing effects such as Bottle Up, Hammer On and Pull Off as well as Slides and Trills. One effect, Arm Up, implements a slide up (or down) the fretboard of six whole tones, hence the range change of an octave.
It's difficult to know how to implement such a playing effect in a relatively straightforward manner without using pitch bend.
Ditto the clarinet glissando/portamento at the start of Rhapsody in Blue.
Otherwise one would have to insert every note and slide, in some fashion (pitch bend or portamento), between them.

The trills only implement tone or semitone changes of varying lengths, but the dll still inserts a 'standard' range change of 12.
Not, I'm guessing, that you may be interested.

SysExJohn wrote:Lastly (for the moment) I observe that within the 'convolver' settings it is possible to set a 'room size', giving us for example "Baroque Chapel" and "Church", etc.

davidv wrote:Will have to get to you on that. Garritan/MakeMusic owns the convolver.

On further examination, it seems that the Garritan Organs ensembles use both the standard Ambience as well as the Convolver reverbs.

Many thanks for your responses.
Kind regards,
John G.

Return to “ARIA Engine”