Sound distortion with using Scala files

Post your ARIA Engine questions here

Moderators: eric_telemaque, davidv

Subhraag

Sound distortion with using Scala files

Postby Subhraag » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:16 am

Hello,

I recently purchased Garritan's Jazz and Big Band samples, specifically because of the Aria's ability to load Scala files. However, when I load a scale that has more than 12 notes per octave, the sounds become muddy and soft as they go up in range and bright and loud as they go down. The reverse is true for scales with less than 12 notes. I was in touch with Garrison customer support, and they have told me this is normal. But other programs I know can interpret samples with scala files without this distortion. Do any of you have any advice on how to fix this?

Thanks!

davidv
Site Admin

Re: Sound distortion with using Scala files

Postby davidv » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:08 pm

Subhraag wrote:But other programs I know can interpret samples with scala files without this distortion. Do any of you have any advice on how to fix this?
Thanks!

Do you have any examples of that? Playing back a sample higher/lower than a third will always sound unnatural, unless it is time stretched, but even then there are limits to what you can do. Scala, used with "synths" can do pretty much any scale however.
David Viens,
Plogue Art et Technologie Inc. Montreal.
http://www.plogue.com

Subhraag

Postby Subhraag » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:52 pm

Yes, Microsynth, by H-pi, plays soundfont samples clearly in any tuning. Kontakt player also does, but for their system, the file format must be converted from scala to their format. I'm not a programmer, so I don't know exactly how sample playback works, but it seems to me the that maybe Aria player has an issue with keyboard mapping. A sample shouldn't have to be played back at more or less than a half step, but multiple instances of the same sample should be loaded for each note within the similar range. For example, if a scale uses 4 steps in between C and C#, using the C or C# sample shouldn't create any distortion because its still not going more than a third, but the same sample should be used multiple times. But in Aria the problem is not just for scales with more than twelve notes per octave, but also with scales less than twelve notes. Hence, it seems there is a keyboard mapping problem.

davidv
Site Admin

Postby davidv » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:48 pm

Our Scala import is currently made for 12 notes when using samples, or for bare synthesizers.

We would need to place the scala decoding before the engine and transform the MIDI stream to
target a note closest in pitch to the scala mapping, then apply residual tuning, if and when needed.

We don't plan to implement this currently.
David Viens,

Subhraag

Postby Subhraag » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:39 am

Ok, thank you for clarifying this. I spent hours on the phone and writing emails with Garritan to figure this out, and they basically told me I didn't know what I was talking about. Their documentation specifically states "The scala file import feature enables the use of thousands of other tunings, if desired." Of the over 4000 published tunings, only a small percentage are 12 tone tunings. I strongly suggest your company includes support for non-12 tone scales. The 12 tone scale system has served western musicians well for some time, but there are so many other systems that open tremendous new possibilities for the musician outside of 12 tones. I don't believe it would be such a difficult update to make, and the potential for creative exploration that it opens up is infinite! Microtonal music is the music of the future!!!

davidv
Site Admin

Postby davidv » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:53 am

Subhraag wrote: I don't believe it would be such a difficult update to make, and the potential for creative exploration that it opens up is infinite! Microtonal music is the music of the future!!!

Surprisingly it would be a big deal as the current implementation of Scala applies pitch after all the SFZ logic,
while what you request would need to be done as a MIDI pre processor.

You could submit this as a feature request to MakeMusic?
David Viens,

Return to “ARIA Engine”